Pages

Monday, 1 September 2014

Good Intentions for September


Yesterday, I marvelled at the sunflowers blooming in our garden. They’d taken their time to open up but, were worth waiting for; summer’s last hurrah. Later, walking through the park, I saw the first conkers on the ground; the irregular spheres of polished chestnut gleaming in the sunlight reminded me that Autumn, my favourite season, is now on it’s way.  The dichotomy wasn’t lost on me.  I feel life is at a gentle crossover point right now.  We are almost at the end of one phase and focusing on the beginning of the next; the return to school, the autumn season, the busyness and hustle and bustle of life in the run up to Christmas.

Today, the 1st September, I am full of good intentions, brimming with enthusiasm, looking forward to getting back into a routine after my carefree approach during the summer holidays. There is much I want to do; and much as I will miss Pip when he returns to school on Thursday, I can’t wait to get started on new projects and plans.  Experience has taught me that it is better to put my own projects to one side for the summer holidays;  I find I get frustrated when I can’t get on with things. Better to give myself up selflessly and wholeheartedly to the kids, instead letting my thoughts ferment and develop here and there.  I find, that by the end of the summer, usually ideas have developed to the point that I am itching to get started.

I am writing my goals down here in the hope that committing them to virtual paper increases my chances of successfully implementing them. (It must be said, I let myself off the hook far too easily.)

September goals

Limit the wine consumption

I have drunk far too much this summer. Not particularly in vast quantities, but just with increasing regularity - a glass of wine or two each night.  Most nights. Sometimes for weeks without a break.  I love nothing more than a glass of wine with my dinner at night, at the end of a long day it feels like a reward.  Yet, it makes me lethargic, it is the enemy of getting things done - and for me, the hours between 9 and 11pm ( I tend to eat at 8.30pm) are valuable time when I could be working on projects; or writing; a hobby I love but find little time for.

Goal: To drink wine no more than 3 nights per week.  (This is realistic as it allows me to enjoy the various parties and calendar commitments we have in the diary - but also gives me the opportunity 4 nights of the week to do more than crash on the sofa at 9pm.)


Start exercising

I feel sluggish, like something is clogging up inside me and needs to be blown away.  Since having my second child I have found it hard to find the time to exercise but with EB now attending nursery two mornings a week I have some time to do this.  I am all too aware that as I hover on the cusp of 40 that I can’t rely on the fast metabolism I’ve been blessed with to keep me slim forever.  We have recently bought a cross trainer and an exercise bike.  All I need to do now is remove my bottom from the sofa and start using them.

Goal: Use the home gym twice a week.


Start writing (more)

For as long as I can remember, it has been my dream to write a novel.  I have started a couple of novels previously, but 10,000 words in they have both been abandoned in a file on the desktop. Life gets busy, I end up prioritising other things...or I drink wine ( the enemy of my creativity - hence goal one.) A while ago I said to my mother, “ I’m going to have finished the first draft of my novel by the time I’m 40.”  That gives me 7 months.  It’s time to stop procrastinating and start writing.

Different approaches work for different people. I have been following the writing journey of Maddie at Writing Bubble, another busy mum with 3 small boys. It makes for inspiring reading. I like her idea of setting word goals for each week /month. I think this could work for me so this is going to be my approach for September.

Goal: Write 6000 words in September.  Attend the workshop on ‘Writing a Novel’ at the local book festival.


Tickling our taste buds

Years ago (pre-children) it was not uncommon for me to spend my whole day thinking about what I would cook for our evening meal.  I would think nothing of coming home from work and spending two hours preparing a gastronomic feast. Not so these days. We have fallen into a quick and easy recipe rut. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it’s just our repertoire of meals has become rather limited and dare I say, boring. Responsibility for this lies firmly at my door as I’m the one that buys the ingredients.  Colourful, wholesome food is what I want us eating more of and as autumn approaches one pot dishes and root vegetables come into play it shouldn’t be that difficult.

Goal: Cook one new recipe per week. (Starting tonight with Spanish Chicken Casserole.)


It is tempting to set myself more goals for this month, there are so many other projects I’d like to attempt; sorting out the interiors for the front room and our bedroom, sorting out the front garden (currently a dust bowl), revamping and refreshing my blog. But this is enough for now - small steps.  The rest can ferment until October.


How are you feeling about September? Are you marching into Autumn with energy or sad to say goodbye to the summer?

15 comments:

  1. ..... Yes, I am pretty excited about the start of the new season..... and I've just bought myself a writing bureau from IKEA - at last I have my own little writing space which isn't the kitchen table. And I did what you did over the summer - I abandoned any personal writing goals and just focused on Little A and me, and that was absolutely the right decision I made. You've inspired me....... welcome back to the blog! :o). X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the fact you've bought yourself a writing bureau. How exciting! Looking forward to reading the output from your new desk! x

      Delete
  2. I love September, Autumn, the build up to Christmas ... it's a really nice time of year. And, the perfect time for new goals ... much better than in January. I have exercise and recipes on my list too. Like you, I really struggle for time so I run twice a week. Friday and Sunday mornings, I get up at 6am and hit the road. Just for half an hour or so but it makes me feel so much better. Finding time to research, plan and shop for new recipes is actually proving a little harder. That might just be a weekend thing. Lovely to see you back to blogging. I so, so hope that you find time for more posts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - 6am. That's committed. I don't know if I could do that - I'm a really bad morning person. I agree re the recipes - but I'm determined to do it even if it's just for September! x

      Delete
  3. I am lusting after the warmth of summer, but equally like autumn and the colour it brings, and the crunchy leave under foot. I think I am just in denial that Alex will be starting school! Great goals, that recipe one is one I must try, very much got stuck in a rut here too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex is starting school - good luck to him. How exciting. x

      Delete
  4. You are my goal twin! These pretty much mirror my own. September's even better than January for fresh starts, in my view. Although, I'm a bit concerned about how much I'm going to miss Austin after he starts school on Friday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I look forward to catching up with how you're doing then! Hope it's all going well for Austin.

      Delete
  5. Totally agree that Sept is a great time to start afresh, and I 'm also soooo in a rut with cooking. Please please post your new recipes to help us other mums drowning in our easy mediocre meal plans. I simply don't have the headspace to be creative in cooking at the mo, too many other more interesting things (and necessary start of term things) i have to get my head around. Lets start with that Spanish Chicken casserole! Lovely to see you're prioritising writing. Tweet me when you have a good new post for www.post40bloggers.com - newly launched website as of today! I get to choose 2 per week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot promise that my attempts for something new will be anything other than easy. I'm just after a couple of alternatives to the norm for easy midweek meals. Re post40 bloggers - I will….and will pop over and check out the site now. Thanks

      Delete
  6. Very best of luck with those goasls, they seem really senisble and achieveable, enjoy! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thank you for mentioning this post in the Brit Mum's positivity round up.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Autumn, full of empty notebooks, new pencilcases and the promise of fresh ideas brewing. Good luck with your goals for September - I hope you get the chance to write some blog posts - so good to catch up with your blog! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What mutually symbiotic goals! I know exactly what you mean about the wine - the reward and effect and after everything you've been through I think it would have been unreasonable to expect anything else of yourself. So glad you had such a great summer and when your boys are really not very much older you are going to treasure all that giving yourself over completely to them. Very best of British :)

    ReplyDelete