Pages

Sunday, 2 February 2014

The Week That Was




It’s been a wet, grey week in the metropolis.  A week of wind whipped hair and bare concrete streets. 

In search of new adventures, EB and I found a new indoor play area.  EB revelled in the new experience and not for the first time recently, I thought how quickly my baby is growing up. 


We rebuilt Pip’s Playmobil castle after it had received a serious mauling courtesy of his younger brother.  Pip’s imagination reignited, I was called upon more often than I had anticipated to role play my designated parts as the Princess or Penelope, defending the castle against the ‘dark knight’ who flies... or the skeleton who sometimes disappears in a recycling truck or the Octopod. (There’s no rules when you’re four - right?). As a result it  was very hard to get any housework done. Shame.


The house project caused me much angst this week, the builder pressurising us daily for decisions. This week it was paint colours (again). The relationship is strained on both sides, we are trying hard to make it work so we can get to the end. It’s not been easy.

EB was teething. Crying incessantly if he wasn’t asleep. I found it very hard to take him to the house to try and make decisions or see progress.  Letting him unload the washing machine was without doubt, the best way to cheer him up all week. It’s his new favourite thing.

With the rain, the builder and EB being off colour, there were times when I felt low.  Yet, there were some silver linings to my rain cloud.



At the local bakery we were gifted some free gingerbread after an Easter biscuits photo shoot. I was very touched that they wanted to give us some - clearly there are some benefits to being a regular. The boys were thrilled, and the gingerbread tasted delicious.

Pip and I finished reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and then began reading it all over again. I think he’s enjoying it even more the second time around. I treasure the moments we spend tucked up reading in his bed each night.

I picked up a superb Kate Spade jacket at an absolute steal. 80% off! Not something I'd normally consider, especially at full price. But it looked rather lovely in the shop and was such a bargain. I bought it knowing I had twenty eight days to change my mind. I wondered when I might wear it. And then...

After months of bills, I received some exciting post at the end of the week. An invitation to the Royal Enclosure at Royal Ascot. Oooh la la. I’ve got the jacket, now all I need is a superb hat and to work on taming my inner Eliza Doolittle. (Easier said than done.)

How was your week?

Linking up with the lovely Hannah at Make, Do and Push and #TWTWC



14 comments:

  1. Ooh wow! That coat is beautiful and now you have the perfect occasion to wear it! I'll come and paint for you ;) You can pay me in tea and cake.

    Thank you so much for linking up to #TWTWC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Payment in tea and cake sounds great. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Ohh that gingerbread looks so nice and a what a fabulous jacket, just perfect for Ascot. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mich. I wish I could make my own gingerbread look as good.

      Delete
  3. Oooooh... I recognise that park! And it does look dreary... love the photos though. It's great when playing takes over tidying *sniggers*... perfect excuse. Not much longer till the end, then it's bye bye builders forever. That jacket rocks... perfect for Ascot (Oh la la - how exciting), and the gingerbread looks lush! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my daily walk through the park has been very dreary recently! Can't wait till the builders ship out now. x

      Delete
  4. What a lovely week! There's nothing better than a fab indoor play area - Little Man and I have just started going to Gymboree and he's blossoming too. I'm finding that I can sit back and experience it all slightly differently second time around - you know? And you know what, that jacket would look fabulous at Brit Mums in June... *hint hint* x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go to Gymboree with Pip - he loved it. Know exactly what you mean about experiencing it slightly differently second time around :0). I can see you're not going to let up on the June event...x

      Delete
  5. That's such an awesome first picture I keep wondering how you got it so massive and looking so good on a Blogger platform? You're others are fab too - and I just love the stories behind them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no technical mastery here. Right click on the photo and then press the extra large photo option! Thanks Anya. x

      Delete
  6. Sam loves unloading the washing machine (and turning it on when I am un-aware) too, funny little things aren't they. That castle looks great! At that jacket was very good timing then :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joys of the toddler obsession with washing machines. EB hasn't worked out how to turn it on yet. I expect that will be his next trick.

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic way to end the week. Sounds as though you've had your fair share of trials. But to get the Playmobil castle back to such a glorious state - that's impressive! And if you're at the paint-choosing stage for the build, then I'm hoping the end won't be too far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Playmobil castle takes ages to build - almost as long as our house! The end is in sight re the house, or, it would be, if I stopped changing my mind on paint colours :0).

      Delete