Pages

Thursday, 19 December 2013

December

My favourite month of the year; a month of preparation, anticipation; things to make, decorate, wrap and post. Social calendars crammed with commitments, never ending to-do lists and a stoical resolve to get things done.  Twinkling lights inside and out. Baubles, berries, garlands and seasonal nick naks that would never normally grace our shelves add cheerfulness and colour to an otherwise stark winter world. Wood smoke, chestnuts roasting, gingerbread, clementines, mulled wine, homemade puds and locally made sloe gin; for me, all part of the magic of Christmas.

This year will be our first year waking up on our own, as a family of four on Christmas morning. It feels like I’m finally a grown up. I can't wait. Pip at aged 4.5 has hit the sweet spot for belief in Santa Claus and all things Christmas. As we count down the days I can see the magic fizzling inside him; he jumps around excitedly like the doe eyed dear on a bottle of Babycham.  EB hasn’t got a clue, but his recent birthday illustrated just how fun climbing on piles of boxes and messing about with piles of paper can be when you’ve just turned one.

A new baby, the house project, Pip starting school; this year has been non stop busy.  Most of the time, I’ve been in headless chicken mode, but as the year draws to a close (and truth be told, as the builders leave and take a two week break), I have found the time to ease off, to relax and immerse myself in the festive spirit.  It’s been wonderful.  I know I can never get these years back with Pip and with EB, that these are the years to really cherish and I intend to embrace every wide eyed, amazing moment that Christmas offers.

We’ve crafted; home made recycled decorations for the tree, we’ve baked, for the cake stall at the school fair, we’ve sung the songs from Pip’s nativity play time and time again, and rejoiced in him being the best camel that surely ever made it’s way to Bethlehem.  The cards are now sent, the presents wrapped.  Writing his letter to Santa, I asked Pip what he hoped the big man in red would bring him.  "A Lego train set", "A jumper"  ‘Some wine for when I am a Daddy’ (When I suggested this might be a long time I was told that he planned to 'save' it.) and finally,  "Some earrings for you, Mummy". Such a thoughtful soul he is.

This year, as I took charge of decorating the tree, I tried to overcome my controlling ways and make it a family affair. Pip proved himself a worthy wing man, and certainly, a far speedier tree decorator than I have ever been. "But we don’t have candy canes, Mummy" he said, as we stood back admiring our handy work as the day drew to a close. “Doesn’t a tree have candy canes?”  Now ours does. A new tradition, voted for by Pip. Albeit rather high up, so EB can’t reach them.

This December I’ve found time for a little sparkle, dug out some fancy Choos from c. 2009 and even been to a party. ( A proper grown up party - one without 20 screaming 4 year olds and a harassed looking entertainer. One with canapes and bubbles. Lovely). I even rocked a bit of bling.  As EB turned one at the end of November (and breastfeeding finally ceased) I've planned some days and nights out with Husband.  A touch of Christmas shopping and afternoon tea in the West End was a fabulous way to ease us into the end of the 2013.  “How would you describe this year?” I asked Husband as we sat caked up to our eyeballs and awash with tea. "Very busy" came the minimalist reply.  Understatement of the year.


In these last few days before Christmas we will be visiting Santa in his grotto, celebrating our wedding anniversary and bestowing gifts on our neighbours to thank them for their patience during a year when they’ve put up with incessant drilling and excessive brick dust.  On Christmas eve, we'll be visiting Daddy’s office (Pip is beside himself with excitement at this) going out for lunch and then heading back west via a boat trip down the Thames to attend the afternoon crib service at our local church.  After putting the children to bed I am looking forward to sitting quietly, a glass of wine in hand, arranging the presents and stockings in front of the tree and making it look magical. I’m going to savour the calm before the unwrapping storm and come 5.30am (ish) let the party begin.
 
Thank you for reading in 2013. Happy Christmas! x

17 comments:

  1. And a very Happy Christmas to you too MP. It sounds idyllic. Congratulations on coming through 2013 and I wish you all the very best for 2014! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And a very happy Christmas and new year to you too. x

      Delete
  2. Just lovely Mummy Plum, in every way. Welcome to adulthood! Have a wonderful family Christmas, you so deserve it. x x PS Lovely to read your blog again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne :0) Wishing you and yours a fabulous Xmas too. xx

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful festive post with so much happiness you really made me smile! I hope you all have a lovely Xmas and all the best for you your family and your wonderful blog in 2014 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment. Thank you for reading, and wishing you a very happy Christmas and New Year too. x

      Delete
  4. Perfection :) Merry Christmas Mummy Plum and your wonderful family xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! Happy Christmas :0) x

      Delete
  5. I love your decorations and the Christmas Tree, AND I recognise that picture, you wrote a lovely post all about it a year ago! I am so glad to read that you have taken your foot off the accelerator (a bit) and have been enjoying a lovely run up to Christmas with your boys. I love your plans for Christmas Eve - it's actually very romantic.... and you have finished breastfeeding with EB - well done - didn't it go on longer with Pip? And I hope you and your family of four have a deliciously wonderful Christmas. Bottoms up! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny isn't it, when you read someone's blog regularly and 'see' a bit of visual history from an old post featured in a new one. Well done for spotting 'Girl'! ( I drag her with me wherever I go. Think she'll still be on my wall when I'm drawing my pension...) EB and Pip pretty much both had their last BF around their first birthday - I soldiered on with exclusive BFing until they could have cow's milk and must say, proud of myself I made it to the one year with both as it wasn't always easy :0) . Have a very lovely Christmas. Bottoms up indeed! x

      Delete
  6. Nice to read something that has got me into the festive mood, I am still a little bit in denial about it only being on Wednesday! Have a Merry Christmas with your boys xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you and your boys a fabulous Xmas too. Thank you for reading this year. x

      Delete
  7. Go you MP, party girl, fizz & heels (have my flats in the car though!). Your year sounds a lot like mine, hope you get to move back into FT soon & relax there, I envisage a lovely summer in your new garden. I plan to "unbusy" myself in '14, good luck with that Mr S. said Happy Christmas and a Fabulous New Year to you & your lovely family xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...go me... (once in a blue moon). I love the sound of 'unbusying' in 2014, but agree with Mr S - good luck with that! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Xmas and a happy and healthy New Year. xxx

      Delete
  8. Sounds delectable! And very well-deserved, after such a busy, productive year. We'll be having our first Christmas as a family of four, too....here's to the magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Nell. I do hope you have a wonderful magical Christmas as four. Cheers! x

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had the perfect build up to Christmas! When is your anniversary? We're 19 Dec, so rare to meet another winter bride! Sounds like such a busy but wonderful year! Hope you have a lovely 2014

    ReplyDelete