Pages

Monday, 30 December 2013

Christmas Unwrapped

 
 
This Christmas was special; full of excitement, magic and smiling happy faces. I was as drunk with anticipation as Pip by bedtime on Christmas Eve.  I’d found myself unable to sing the carols at the crib service with a dry eye, a lump in my throat as Pip, dressed as a shepherd, stood next to his best friend at the front of the church and sang Away in a Manger. Despite my corrections, the art of lip synching proved he was still singing it with his own particular wording; "No crim for a bed" and "The little lord Jesus asleep on his head".  If the vicar noticed, he let it pass.

Pre-bedtime was so much fun. We prepared some food for Rudolph; oats with glitter sprinkled inside and a couple of rubbery old carrots (no point giving him the good ones). A mince pie and some red wine for Father Christmas, (and at Pip’s insistence, a chocolate too. ) Finally, we hung the stockings by the fire and sprinkled red glitter up the garden path, to make sure that Rudolph could see us from the sky.  Amazingly Pip went to bed without too much fuss; he bought into the fact that Santa couldn’t set off to visit us until all the children in the world were asleep.  With two boys sleeping peacefully, all we had to do was wait.

Ridiculously, I found I was the one who couldn’t sleep. It was almost a relief when EB awoke at 6am.  Husband and I smuggled him downstairs and gave him some milk to quiet him, hoping Pip would stay asleep a little longer. EB was poorly, full of snot and barking like a proverbial dog .  At 6.30am after a coughing fit, he projectile vomited his milk all over Husband and the kitchen floor.  The mop bucket and a bottle of Dettol were not part of my Xmas morning plan.  At 6.45am cleaned up and with a considerably more chirpy EB, we enjoyed a cup of tea.  At 7am we sat twiddling our thumbs, wanting to get the party started. Should we wake Pip up?  At 7.15 we could wait no more, I retrieved a bell stick from EB’s stocking and conjured up some sleigh bell noises. Pip shot down the stairs like a Christmas rocket.

In those next few hours, I saw wonder, awe and amazement in Pip’s little face. The light bulb in the lounge went, we could’t find another, so we opened our presents just by the twinkling light of the Christmas tree. It didn’t do much for the quality of my photos, but then, these things are sometimes best remembered in one’s head.  Pip surprised me with his self control. We managed to stop for a breakfast of pancakes whilst parcels still lay unopened under the tree.  Pancakes with fresh fruit, golden syrup and creme fraiche made a delicious start to Christmas morning.

Later, I noticed how neatly Pip had put all his presents in a pile. How he stood back looking at the collective swag, taking it all in, and I was reminded of how I used to do exactly the same thing as a girl.

Mid morning we departed to my Mum’s for her traditional turkey and all the trimmings. The rest of the day was spent assembling pretty much each and every gift Pip received. Lego, Playmobil, more Lego, more Lego and even more Lego.  Whilst I’d ensured I’d purchased every battery type possible prior to Christmas, what I hadn’t legislated for was the time it was going to take to actually make some of Pip’s gifts.  Lego Cargo Train...2 hours to make the engine.  Thank goodness for my Dad. Although frankly, I think assembling a Lego City train and track was the highlight of his December.

In the meantime, we busied ourselves with Beetle Drive and Guess Who, and the surprise hit of Christmas for Pip, the R2D2 (Star Wars) version of Operation. We played them all. Such fun. Christmas felt old school, like it did when I was a kid.  The only thing missing was the huge tin of Quality Street. ( Must remember that for next year.)

The day passed so quickly, the TV didn’t even go on and I forgot to Sky Plus Downton. (Having now watched it on catch up, don’t think I missed much.) The day ended much as it started, with poor EB, after a valiant effort all day, being sick in his cot. Except this time I found myself grappling with mince pie infused vomit. Lovely.

Despite EB being off colour, it was still a very lovely Christmas. Arguably, we tried to pack a little too much into Xmas eve, left a few too many things until the last minute, could have done with having some spare light bulbs in the house and being a little better briefed on the assembly times required for some of Pip’s new toys. Yet, overall our first Christmas morning alone as a four was fab.  Aside from feeling that I’ve eaten far too much and need to fast forward straight to a health kick, I’m rather sad it’s over. In fact, I’m already looking forward to Christmas 2014. Roll on the New Year.

14 comments:

  1. Vomit aside, your Christmas sounds positively wonderful. And the little photo is so cute. I was a present stacker too although I liked to do it before opening them. I could sit for ages just looking at them and wondering what was in them. CK's favourite thing was his stocking (mainly because it contained a much longed for Maglite torch). He loved it so much that we had breakfast and got showers and dressed before he wanted to open the rest of his gifts. Truth be told, I think the stocking would have sufficed. Hope you have a fab New Year too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, the magic is in the stocking! I added an orange to each of the boys stockings as I always used to get one in mine when I was a child. Pip was most bemused! Lovely to hear that CK enjoyed Xmas so much. Have a lovely New Year. x

      Delete
  2. Sounds great apart from the vomit! Alex loved the build up so much this year and it was lovely to see it, unfortunately Sam was ill with a chest infection so wasn't the Christmas I'd had planned, but fun none the less. Happy new year for tomorrow. love the photo too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard when they're ill at Xmas isn't it? I was praying Pip wouldn't come down with EB's virus and so glad when he didn't. Hopefully you'll all be fighting fit next year. All the best for 2014. x

      Delete
  3. A belated Happy Christmas to you lovely! Curly Girl had so many presents this year (not from us but from over generous rellies) that the joy of them was lost in the opening I feel. Next year I'm going to spread them out a bit more I think or just ask people not to buy so much! I envy your morning alone - we had a house full so I didn't sit down much and made more cups of tea than I could count! Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overgifting by relatives was a problem at this end too. It just gets overwhelming for them in the end doesn't it? I agree with spreading them out a bit. Does help. Happy New Year x

      Delete
  4. Sounds magical-we have just taken our tree down and I am missing those evenings, lit only by the twinkling lights. I am loving this stage with young children, Christmas seems so magical and special. Like Pip, Leila believes totally in Santa and watching her take in the presents and the vanished carrot and mince pie was so lovely. Long may it last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long may it last indeed! Your Christmas sounds wonderful.

      Delete
  5. This sounds just lovely. So glad Pip entered fully into the Christmas spirit - next year EB will be able to as well! I know only too well how long it takes to assemble those Lego constructions. Now my son is old enough and able to build them on his own, I rather miss that part of Christmas :( Happy new year to you all! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that it will be a long way off before mine can build Lego on their own but I expect these years will go in a flash. Hope you had a lovely Xmas and escaped the dreaded bug your visitors came down with. Happy New Year! x

      Delete
  6. We had vomit too... Little A wasn't feeling very well at all. But what a lovely Christmas morning and day you all had, so lovely to read, and I love that picture - Pip in his Santa's outfit. Little A squealed with delight when she saw the filled stocking out side her bedroom door. And we had pancakes on Boxing Day! But I don't envy you having all that Lego. Have a wonderful start to the New Year! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such a shame for them when they're ill at Xmas. Not so bad for EB as he didn't have much of a clue what was going on, but I know last year when Pip was 3.5yrs he was under the weather and I just wanted to cry for him. I'm glad Little A loved the stocking though. Wishing you and your lovely family a great 2014. x

      Delete
  7. Am so sorry about the poorly business. Everything else sounds so perfect - it's actually makes my heart ache for something I didn't know was missing. That's a compliment btw and can't believe I've missed a few posts. Have double subscribed to make sure it doesn't happen again, not with one of my Top Five Bloggers You Neeeed in Your Life! XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely thing to say, Anya. Thank you. And thank you for double subscribing. I had noticed you were a January 2014 subscriber too! x

      Delete