Pages

Monday, 9 September 2013

This Was The Summer...

This was the summer of dandelion clocks, we adventured in parks and grass covered lands and blew away seed heads, holding time in our hands.

This was the summer of games in the park, of picnic teas outside as the nights weren’t dark. Of ‘What’s the time Mr Wolf’, and ‘Duck, Duck, Goose’, of chasing, racing, letting loose.

This was the summer of carefree days in the sun; Kew Gardens, the beach, the cinema; one to one.

This was the summer a large box of clothes came through the post; with smart blazer and cap and the tie you loved most.

"When am I going to big school, Mum?"  "Soon my darling, the summer’s nearly done."

This was the summer I wanted to last longer, the summer I felt our bond become stronger.  Proper conversations, an inquisitive mind; a companion like you is hard to find. 
    
This was the summer you seemed so tall, but at the end, in your uniform, you looked so small.  Knobbly knees and unscuffed toes, and at the last minute, a runny nose. 

On Thursday, a car journey and a scoot through the park, and then there we were; at the start.  A hug and a kiss, then you walked through the door, with one backward glance and no more.

I thought about you every second of the day, on this, your first big step away. Away from the mother ship, away from the summer. To autumn leaves and spending all day in the care of another.

At the end of this summer I allowed myself to cry, in recognition of saying goodbye.  To  four years of binding love, four years of fun, four years at home as mother and son.

My darling Pip, they were my only tears.  You’re ready and raring to enjoy these school years.  Be bold, be brave, be happy and have fun. I’ll be at the school gate each day when you’re done. 


Always by your side...

For little Pip, who became a ‘Big Boy’ quicker than I could ever have imagined.

Linking up with the One Week series at Older Mum in a Muddle; a seasonal linky on the theme of summer. 

one week

And also linking up with #magicmoments

33 comments:

  1. That is beautiful, what a lovely post!! I'm going to share it :-) #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in love with that first sentence! What a lovely, special and coming of age summer with Pip. I am so glad to hear he is really enjoying it too. And I love 'what's the time Mr Wolf' - such a play ground classic. Lovely words as always very talented lady! X. (and thank you for linking up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a lovely summer with Pip indeed. So nice to have a fabulous one before he departed for big boy school. x

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It will come round so quickly - make the most of this last year.

      Delete
  4. Just finished the school uniform shopping and reading this made me feel very emotional about what lies ahead for our family too. Beautifully written and evocative. Thanks for sharing such a precious moment of your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh that made me cry. What a proud, selfless, kind mother you are. Hold on tight to your second, because those four years go even more quickly! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you OM. I can't believe no 2 is 9 months already...he'll be joining his big brother before I know it.

      Delete
  6. Ok, I cried. I loved this so much, my girl started nursery and like you say it happens so fast. I too wished the summer had lasted longer. Really beautiful words, wonderfully written x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Nichola. Time flies so quickly.

      Delete
  7. This is a stunning piece of writing, hope that Pip enjoys school. I am dreading next year when Alex goes but like Pip i think he will be ready for it! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely lady. Alex's time will be here before you know it.

      Delete
  8. This is a stunning piece of writing, hope that Pip enjoys school. I am dreading next year when Alex goes but like Pip i think he will be ready for it! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness this is so special! Your poetry is beautiful and the sentiments so perfect. I do hope that school lives up to Pip's reputation. I look forward to sharing on my Friday Favourites at the end of the month. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. How wonderful to be a Friday Favourite! x

      Delete
  10. awww this is beautiful i have not thought about that game duck duck goose in such a long time!

    thank you for linking up with #MagicMoments x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck Duck Goose is a firm favourite with Pip!

      Delete
  11. Oh the bittersweet moment, MP. I hope Pip has had a wonderful start at school and that you coped bravely as well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is loving every moment. I am so proud of him. It's only been 3 days but it feels that he's grown up loads in those 3 days already :0)

      Delete
  12. It does come up on you fast, doesn't it? On the plus side, you have school productions and sports days etc that will provide equally powerful memories further down the line :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of other highlights to look forward to, a very positive way to look at it. Thank you.

      Delete
  13. This is great stuff. I've a whole year left before big school. but this has made me teary in anticipation! Something beautiful to treasure. You'll have to read it out when he graduates....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nell, make the most of it. It goes SO fast. I doubt he'll ever want me to read this out though...boys!

      Delete
  14. Lovely piece, and so glad it is going well. It's amazing how the time goes and how quickly they change. LO moved up from pre-prep/infants to prep/juniors and I had another (secret) teary moment, so am guessing this never stops. Love the way you set the piece out too, lyrical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Does it ever stop? Maybe not. I know at 38 when I had my second son my Mum still got teary when she had to go home after looking after us for a few days post birth!

      Delete
  15. I'm crying and I've still got a year to go till I send my boy off... Gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful, a privilege to read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful and bringing a tear to my eye x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thought I commented on this the first time round. It made me cry then and it made me cry again now. Exquisite. Such love and such clever poetry. You never fail to please and surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did comment the first time. It's above! Thank you for commenting again though (and your kind words) x

      Delete