Pages

Monday, 30 September 2013

Boy In A Dress

One hundred years old; maybe a little older. Cotton so thin in places, I worried that you would put your foot through it as you tried to wriggle free.  I chose ‘heritage green’ ribbon for around the chest and arms. Pip had blue, but somehow, green seemed right for you.

I was worried it wouldn’t fit. But it did. As though it were meant for you. As though, at whatever point you put it on, it would always seek to fit you, to gather round you and embrace you. The gown worn by all the males in my family; you, Pip, my brothers and countless others.  Names and dates, embroidered around the hem with my mother’s hand; a visual genealogy, sewn with love.

As we stood at the font I felt overcome. Tears pricked my eyes and I had to blink hard to stop them flowing. As I handed you to Mother M, there was a lump in my throat as I said your name aloud, the only audible sound in an otherwise silent church; a life affirming reminder that you, like a rainbow that follows rainy days, are here - and that we are blessed.

Your godparents, the same as Pip’s. How could I choose anyone else? Innately good, kind, compassionate people. Friends since the start of adulthood. Twenty years on, they stood by my side, by your side; family in all but name.  How lucky you are to have them.

Afterwards, a celebration lunch, then later, tea and cake. I must have been feeling especially pious, or else, the champagne holy oils had gone to my head; I offered our guests ‘vicarage sponge’ all afternoon.

The autumn sun shone and you smiled, chuckled, wooed and cooed, looking as angelic as the blonde hair on your head. In our small garden, the atmosphere was alive, with warmth, good will and love.  It was a perfect day, celebrating you. My darling boy.




18 comments:

  1. My boys were Christened in a dress. That photo is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, just pure beautiful. The day sounds truly perfect xx :)
    http://busybeemummybex.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely... EB looks gorgeous - bless his little outfit, and how beautiful that this gown has been handed down with embroided initials. What a very special moment for you and your beautiful boy. X.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so beautiful. Gorgeous little boy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photo (and little boy) sounds like the perfect day. What a lovely tradition/keepsake having the embroidered initials too x

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww this is so so beautiful it gave me goosebumps to read xx

    thank you for linking up with #MagicMoments x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very special day - and a very special outfit. It's lovely that you have special friends for godparents for your children as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, a picture and he is just as beautiful as I imagined he would be. Gorgeous post. Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special moment, which you've captured so beautifully with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the symbolism of the gown, and how its history seems to shroud the event in familial love. A beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Congratulations! He looks divine - and such beautiful words. I love your family traditions. You make me ache for them. Exquisite picture :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a lovely day; such a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you everyone for your kind words. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that is beautiful. How wonderful to have the gowns worn by your ancestors. Truly special xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your words are perfect as always lovely, a wonderful memory to treasure xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your words are perfect as always Mrs. A beautiful memory to treasure xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful words and picture!

    ReplyDelete