Pages

Thursday, 22 August 2013

Three Good Things #3

We spent last week away enjoying the type of British seaside holiday I remember having when I was a child. Bucket and spade holidays on rocky, beachy shores peering in rock pools are the stuff memories are made of.  Last week I sought to bank some for Pip, on the Jurassic coast. He absolutely loved it; proof that you don’t need to travel far for kids to have a good time. My three good things this week are about our holiday.

One.


Beside the Sea. I love the Dorset coast; the undulating up and down of the hills, the spectacular views. I particularly like Lyme Regis. It’s a quaint old place. I like the pretty painted cottages along the seafront, the gift shops on the hilly high street, the curve of the bay, the boats bobbing in the water by The Cobb.  Our cottage was close to the beach. Each day would start with the seagulls cawing on the roof at dawn.  Usually by then I was awake with EB anyway, I rather liked it;  a nice reminder each morning that we were beside the sea.  We were also lucky enough to have access to a beach hut for the week. In one week I have become a complete convert to beach hut living, or rather, nuts about huts. I'm sure it's a peculiarly British thing but I just found something immensely enjoyable about setting up camp there for a day.  On our final night we took a bottle of champagne down to the hut early evening and sat and watched the sun go down - it was a lovely way to end our week.


 Two.


Gone Fishing. Pip experienced his first ever fishing trip courtesy of Daddy and Grandpa.  I’ll never forget the look on his face as he ran back along The Cobb with his haul of ten mackerel swinging from his lifted hand. Happiness shone from him. Barbecued for tea with some herbs from the garden plus some lemon and chilli, they tasted rather good.

Three.


A lesson in preparing pizza. Regular readers will know that we are planning to install a pizza oven in our garden shortly. As an induction to this, Husband, Pip and I headed off to River Cottage for a morning to participate in their pizza making course. It was a great experience and lovely to do something with Pip on his own. We all thoroughly enjoyed it, from making the dough and kneading it, to placing the toppings on and eating.  Suffice to say, the pizza oven project is now progressing with renewed fervour.  Looking at  the abundance of home grown produce in our tour of the River cottage gardens was a treat too - and has inspired me to grow some of my own herbs and vegetables when we return back to our house next year. 

I'm linking this post up to the #threegoodthings linky over at Margot and Barbara. What are your three good things from the last week?

11 comments:

  1. Sounds perfect, glad you had a lovely time away, beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't commented in awhile but I have been keeping up! Wonderful you had a lovely holiday! Oh, I dream of a holiday in such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello *waves*. Thank you for keeping up and for your comment. I have been wondering how you are getting on, I miss reading you. Do let me know if you blog again, I wouldn't want to miss it. x

      Delete
  3. So lovely to read a post from you. Glad you are having a lovely summer. I'm so jealous of your pizza oven project. I'd really, really like one. We have a herb garden planned too but as I'm seriously lacking in growing skills, I'm not particularly hopeful. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The proof is in the eating - if we can't make good pizza we will have wasted our money (and still feel like we have to eat it as we spent so much on the oven!). Herb garden is a lovely idea. Chives and Mint are quite hardy I think...start with them. I've always found parsley v. difficult to grow. x

      Delete
  4. Holiday sounds lovely, pizza course sounds good too, you can cram so much goodness onto a pizza! I am knee deep in apples from our trees, maybe I could make apple pizza :)
    Only getting back into your house next year?!? Is it on track??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pizza with apples on could be lovely - perhaps with some proscuttio and rocket?
      The house was meant to be finished early Dec. Looking like Feb now...*sighs*

      Delete
  5. Lovely post! It sounds like a wonderful trip and your photos are gorgeous. I'd love to visit River Cottage and do a course! Something for my wish list...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you had such a lovely time in Dorset.... very much looking forward to my seaside holiday next week (hope the weather holds). Bucket and spades at the ready. That pizza lesson looked fun..... Here's to that pizza oven next spring then (just read comment above). And I can highly recommend growing your own veg - I have had some lovely yellow courgettes this summer in my humble little garden! X.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wrote about the Jurassic Coast - lovely part of the world and lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete