Pages

Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Three Good Things #1

I'm slowing down for the summer. In the recent heat I haven't been able to string coherent posts together. Words aren't flowing freely, instead they float slowly to the surface and then melt away, like unfinished ice lollies, before I've had a chance to use them. 

For some reason, I am reluctant to let go of the blog altogether this summer. Who knows, if I do, I might never come back.  Given my current inability to write much, I've decided to try and link up with the Three Good Things series at Margot and Barbara during August.   (If you haven't had a chance to check out this blog before - do; it's fabulous. I especially love Liz's 'about me' page.)

Three Good Things is a gratitude project.  The premise is simple, each Wednesday you share three good things that have happened in your life in the past week.  Here's mine:

One. 


I love the Isabella plantation in Richmond Park. It’s so peaceful and tranquil; a relaxing place to be. I like the fact you have to park further up the hill from it and make your way there on foot; and that once there, it’s impossible to hear the hum of traffic.  That there is no cafe, no chink of coffee cups and clattering of spoons so normally found in close proximity to such places in London. It’s just trees, streams, stepping stones, flowers and foliage.  The perfect place to escape from the metropolis and wile away a few hours.  I walked here last Saturday. I felt so calm and at peace, I didn't want to leave. It was a lovely day.


Two.

Outsider Tart. This is one of my favourite cake shops.  Run by two American bakers, they make the best brownies and tray bake cakes I have ever tasted (not to mention splendid coffee too.) Husband’s birthday last week was the perfect excuse to indulge in chocolate and walnut, snickers and white chocolate cheesecake brownies. I lost myself in cakey goodness.  Such a shame that in my keen-ness to eat them I forgot to take a photo.



Three. 


Appreciation. Last week I was the recipient of an unexpected gift. I LOVE unexpected gifts. Husband arrived home with this book for me. I haven’t read it yet. The good thing about it? The sentiment with which it was given.  He’d decided I sounded ‘rather frazzled’ when we’d spoken on the phone earlier that day. (Let’s face it, looking after two kids all day in 30 degree heat does have it’s moments). But it was good to know that that in the midst of his busy day, he’d thought about me and popped to the shop and bought this gift. I’m not sure when I’ll get the time to read it but that’s not the point - the point is - a little appreciation goes a long way. It's good to know that someone cares.


I actually meant to post this last week but life just got in the way. They're still good things though. What are your three good things this week?




16 comments:

  1. What a range of good things! I'm loving the whole idea of Outsider Tart - it's making me feel very hungry!

    I've linked up as well this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have popped by and checked yours out :0)

      Delete
  2. I think that if we were to be real-life friends, we would end up rather rotund. Our love of tea and cake would see us at Outisder Tart ever afternoon. Wishing you a wonderful summer - please don't stop blogging for ever x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree - we probably would spend far too long eating cake together...which would be kind of nice :0)

      Delete
  3. I'm off for coffee and cake (my favourite kind of outing) this afternoon although I doubt the brownies will be as good as the ones you've described!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee and cake is one of my favourite kinds of outings too. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. All sounds lovely. I love Richmond Park too but have never found the Isabella plantation. Must look into that. Love coffee shops too, as you know, and one called Outsider Tart sounds so quirky that I must visit it. My good things this week are: I'm on a course at City Lit this Saturday, which is making me feel like a proper grown up Londoner again instead of just a provincial mum (nothing wrong with being a provincial mum, but not something I want to be solely). Secondly, I am cracking along with the writing course and it's making me feel good that my assignments are in. Also, my tutor says I should start submitting stuff. Thirdly, I'm doing a social psychology course, 6 weeks, online, which started this week. Good to be thinking academically again. Just realised all three things relate to courses and studying! But I am really enjoying all of them. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly *waves excitedly*. Your three good things sound fabulous. Am glad that you are cracking on with the writing course and that you've had such good feedback.I think I'd rather enjoy studying again too, it can be very rewarding to get the old cogs turning and thinking academically. Pleased to hear you're enjoying it. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your three good things x

      Delete
  5. I'm finding my blogs in the heat are awful-and I don't feel like being on the laptop much!
    Lovely things-anything that includes cake is good! Appreciation really does help after a long day with the kids! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree - always nice to be appreciated. Even better perhaps if appreciation is shown in cake..a double bonus!

      Delete
  6. I. LOVE. OUTSIDER. TART. When we used to have people around, we would always buy treats from there. AND.... Younger Dad had my 40th birthday cake made there - vanilla/lemon sponge with I think blueberry icing, it was incredible - best cake I've ever tasted! And what a really thoughtful thing your husband did! And I so understand about the writing - words haven't been flowing freely for me either. X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh. How super - a birthday cake from Outsider Tart. Younger Dad sounds a fabulous man! *Makes note to drop some BIG hints when the time comes*

      Delete
  7. What a lovely post - and I now have a list of things and places to try! You write so beautifully, even if you think the words are not flowing as freely as you would like. Thank you so much for joining in with Three Good Things and I'm really glad that it's something you can join in with as you slow down for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I really enjoyed linking up.

      Delete
  8. Ah Richmond Park, I have many memories of bike rides as a child there with my friend. Outsider Tart sounds like a must-visit place when I'm up next. I like the sound of cakey goodness! Love that Mr MP noticed you sounded frazzled, mine never has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Outsider Tart would definitely be right up your street MLM. It is divine. :0)

      Delete