Pages

Monday, 13 May 2013

Adored - EB 5 Months

At 5 months - Your personality is starting to show itself more and more, the essence of you, who you are inside, keeps revealing, like a present with many layers of wrapping, each one a delightful surprise. You have mastered the art of smiling.  Now you’re on to laughing, giggling. I’ve discovered that you are rather ticklish. You love to be sung to, (yes, even in my monotone voice). I’ve made up a song for you, ‘There was a boy called little...’  it makes your face light up every time I sing it.  You are a joy to me; I am enjoying this time with you so very much.

At 5 months - You have legs like a Michelin man, each with two or three tyres of gorgeous baby fat. You love to stand in the funrock in the kitchen, or bounce in the baby bouncer in the hallway. You can almost sit on your own, but not quite. You love being on your tummy and can’t wait to get moving. You’re perfecting all your pre-crawl techniques right now and it amazes me how strong you are for such a small person.

At 5 months - You’ve discovered the F word.  Food. You object noisily to anyone eating anything in front of you. If eating is a social occasion then you want to be part of it. You’ve tried a little baby rice, pear puree and some mashed banana now. Everything you’re offered you polish off with gusto and a satisfied grin. I’m really enjoying introducing you to food.

At 5 months - You love bath time. The complete opposite of your brother, who sat inside a wash tub in the bath for months, not you, you revel in a bath full of water; try to splash, crawl and stand in every bath, try to swim to the jacuzzi jets at the end to touch them and explore.  Always with a wide smile.  You were, and always will be, a water baby I think.

At 5 months - If I hug you it feels like you’re hugging me back. Clinging to my body as I carry you around the house, my own personal Koala.  Just about big enough now to settle on my hip without sliding off. Again, it reminds me of four years ago, I have become a one armed kitchen hand again.

At 5 months - You’re still going to bed each and every night like a good boy.  I breast feed you on the bed, then place you in the cot and turn out the light but not before kissing your face and your chin, watching a smile, turn to a grin, and sometimes even a squeal of delight, as it tickles as I kiss you goodnight.  I love these moments so, so much.

At 5 months, you are secure in Mummy’s love. Don’t think I haven’t seen you - scouting for girls.  Casting your smile far and wide, letting them see the twinkle in your eye. You want to reach further than me now.  5 months and you’re spreading those little wings already.

5 months - I’d forgotten just what an adorable stage it is.

Mostly.

At 5 months there are a couple of things that could be better.

At 5 months -  You cry every time I put you in the car seat.  This really does make journeys stressful, especially the pre-school drop off’s and pick up’s.  I wish you liked being in the car more. Babies are supposed to like travelling in the car. It’s a well known fact.  Perhaps when we put you in the front facing seat? I do hope so. 

At 5 months - You object profusely to going in the buggy. ( Yes, the brand new one I bought especially for you, that I was sure you’d like better than the old one.) What is it about wheels in motion that makes you fret so?  I simply can’t carry you everywhere. My biceps are buckling under the strain.  And you know, don’t you, the buggy is my shopping trolley too? I need it to carry all my shopping. Please learn to like your buggy soon.

At 5 months - You now refuse to take a bottle, even if it does contain mummy milk. All you want is breast. To which I say; you don’t have to have a bottle all the time, just on the odd occasion; if Mummy wants to go out for instance (it’s rare, but it’s nice for me to do once in a while).  Perhaps you could give me a break on this one? I’m a better mother when I get a bit of ‘me’ time.

None of these things are insurmountable. I know you’re only little, that sometimes things are scary, or you’re tired, or sometimes just cranky and want things your own way, but if you could see you way once in a while to helping me out...well, that would be nice.

Finally, let me tell you this.

At 5 months - Loving you feels so easy.   I don’t take the fact I have you for granted, I count myself very lucky. On days when I am dark eyed and weary I just need to see your smile and it reminds me why I battle with interrupted nights, machine loads of poo stained vests and sick possetted babygros. It makes it all worth it. Unconditional love. Forever. 


NB: EB is nearly 51/2 months at time of publishing - At 5 months it still takes me a while to get things done.


Linking up with #magicmoments over at The Oliver's Madhouse.

22 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, MP. Beautiful. My little one now puts his arm over my shoulder, close to my neck, when I carry him and it really does feel like he's trying to put his arms around me. It makes me want to carry him forever.

    We're suffering from a little bit of toddler jealousy at the mo so we have a few things to work on. But, yes, little smiles make it all worthwhile x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's so lovely when it feels like they're hugging back, isn't it? I was chatting to another Mum in the park yesterday who has about the same age gap as you, I think. Toddler jealousy is hard. Fingers crossed it passes soon. x

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous post. Such a lovely age to be!

    We still have 'koala cuddles' in our house! Even from my 8 year old sometimes, although I nearly drop her now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fabulous to know that your 8 year old still gives koala cuddles. I hope mine do when they're her age too!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Sam is a changed baby at 5 months, not sure if that's because he's finally started having proper sleeps in the day or just at stage, but he is so happy and cheeky now. Sounds like EB is wonderful too :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Do you find you're enjoying it more with the second? I certainly feel more relaxed this time around. x

      Delete
  4. I am totally in agreement with all the above - such a gorgeous post, oozing with love. You sound really, really happy. EB sounds like he's going to be (a) a lady killer (watch out West London) and (b) a very adventurous soul - he doesn't like being in confined spaces does he, well strapped up on wheels - he wants to be free :o). Can't believe he's weening already, time flies by so fast! X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant weaning - my spelling is atrocious now - that's what baby brain has done to me :o).

      Delete
    2. You've hit the nail on the head with adventurous soul - he was literally trying to escape from me in the bath tonight! Time is flying by so quickly. They are babies for such a short time. x

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful - every single word of it. But my very favourite part is your 'own personal Koala' xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you All At Sea. I think everyone should have the experience of having their own personal koala, it's lovely. x

      Delete
  6. Aww this is lovely. A lot of what you have written here, I'm experiencing with my own bundle of joy :0) Continue to enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you too. It's such a special time. Thank you for commenting. x

      Delete
  7. awww this is such a beautiful post and such a lovely age! thanks for linking up with #magicmoments xxx here to month 6! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to link up to #magicmoments just wish I had more time so I could link up more often :0)

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous post and I love the way you end it back in reality with the things that 'aren't quite so nice' about 5-month-olds and that it takes so long to achieve anything! I think 5 months is such a lovely age and I remember that 'clinging' like a koala feeling too - it brought back some lovely memories x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, yes, yes! Little Man is doing all these things too, it's so lovely when he breaks off feeding and gazes up at me and breaks into an enormous grin. This truly is a lovely age, even more so because they can't move around of their own accord too much yet, he he! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving around! *Shudders at thought and wonders where stairgates are*. We'll be there before we know it. Eek!

      Delete
  10. Five months? Where did they go? He sounds wonderful and you're so poetic. So pleased for you. And as I'm working backwards, he must be on solids, so you should get around to some sleep *crosses fingers for you* xx

    ReplyDelete