Pages

Tuesday, 2 April 2013

Mojo Gone Loco

I can’t seem to get on an up and stay on an up right now. My mojo is like a yo-yo; steadily spinning up and then oops!, suddenly flailing around on a long thread again. One moment I’m full of inspiration and good intentions, the next, I’m lethargic, heavy footed and afflicted with can’t-be-arsed-itus. 

I’m going to be incredibly British and blame the weather.  Frankly, there’s no spring in my step now and there should be. We’re in April for goodness sake and it’s still freezing.  I can’t remember when it was last so cold at this time of year. I’ve had the heating on every night for weeks, otherwise, the gro-egg temperature indicator in our bedroom turns to blue. One night recently, determined to tough it out, I turned the heating off.  At 3am it was 9 degrees. EB’s tightly furled fists were like ice cubes when I lifted him out the cot to feed him.  As I marched downstairs to turn the heating back on yet again, I wondered whether sleeping in my dressing gown would be preferable to the sauna like alternative.

Alas, it was not. Which means I’ve just had to put up with the constant dry heat turning my skin to a dry, scaly mess. The heels of my feet are now so cracked they’re catching on the carpet. Even my hair is dry;  I noted yesterday that there are split ends on the split ends.  Not wanting to be outdone, my well worn winter wardrobe has grown bobbles on it’s bobbles. In fact, everything is multiplying in it’s bobbly-ness, dryness and brittleness.  And it’s all spring’s fault. Because it’s not here yet. And it should be. 

Carry your weather with you’; is an old adage a friend once shared with me, (they weren’t talking about umbrellas.)  In my flailing yoyo moments, I have pondered this recently.  And I’ve decided that’s what I need to do; awake my own dawn chorus of birdsong; shimmer in my own self-made sunshine, to shake off this lethargy.  I'm going to stop being so weather vain, so seasonally affected. I'm going to stick two fingers up at Mother Nature and regenerate and reinvigorate myself anyway.  I deserve it, after four months of feeding a small through the night and pushing a pram through rain, sleet, snow and bracing winds.

Not just deserve it. Need it. I need to feel a bit chipper again.

On Saturday, it was a year to the day since I saw EB’s two blue lines waving hello on a pregnancy test. What a year it's been. I've given my body over to it, but I’m done now; with incubating, with giving birth, with those especially hard nights of those first few months and the accompanying dark circles under the eyes that come with them.*

My personal self is in need of a renaissance.

I booked a haircut today. It’s been 8 months since my last.  I’m using the spa voucher I received for my birthday to get my wintered hooves a pedicure, and I’ve resolved to actually use the exfoliating body scrub I have in the shower. 


I’m determined, I will follow up on those good intentions. I am going to make those broccoli and cheese muffins for Pip (even though he thinks broccoli is the devil’s work) because I want him to try them. I’m also going to move myself and Husband away from the winter casseroles and comfort food now, and widen our repertoire to include some lighter options - to eat spring like even if outside it doesn’t feel like it.  If I don’t, I’ll never get rid of my muffin top.

I’m going to stop procrastinating about the idea that's been ruminating in my head for a new project these past weeks and just DO.  Otherwise I’ll never get around to it.  Sometimes it’s better to capitalise on creative enthusiasm and worry about the finer details later.

So, stuff you, Spring. I was hoping you’d buoy me up but I can’t hang around forever. You may well now be limping around the corner, but I’m going to be one step ahead of you this year.  A woman can only wait so long.



*The nights are still not great, but have been accepted as a way of life now.

27 comments:

  1. Oh 'eck, your heating sounds a mare - and we still have the heating on through the night too - an a low temperature so that it doesn't drop below 16 degrees. Here's a big cuppa to lift your spirits and kick start your mojo. And is it's any consolation warmer weather is on it's way, so says the BBC. And I don't blame you for blaming the weather - I have been really tired of late, an I know I am stressed with the move BUT I know the grey and cold isn't helping either! XXX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for the typos!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the cuppa. Don't know about the warmer weather though - it snowed today! Good luck with the move. x

      Delete
  2. Well you have read my post about living in a yurt for 3 days so any heating is a plus! But seriously, I am with you on this freezing cold temperature and the drying of everything....my heels are also all cracked and have been so cold that the skin has split properly and they are painful to walk on. We have enjoyed a lovely couple of days of sunshine but it's still so cold! Excited to find out about your new projects and yes, don't wait for spring to perk you up, it may never arrive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only woman in dire need of a pedicure! Thanks for commenting. :0)

      Delete
  3. I can absolutely relate to this. I look in the mirror and despair! I'm badly in need of some sun and about eight weeks' worth of sleep. Oh, and a job lot of the most potent anti-wrinkle cream available. So, hats off to you for taking action. I shall follow your lead and book a hair appointment I think. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to keep the standards up with two smalls to look after each day, but I'm going to try. Or at least make the effort. Still only able to have a shower once they're in bed, but at least a good cut should help make my hair look more respectable in daytime!

      Delete
  4. Great post-although I do think this horridly long winter is to blame for many glum, pale looking faces about at the moment-apparently it's going to be double figures next week-they say anyway! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fingers crossed for some sunshine soon!

      Delete
  5. 3 cheers to that! If we sit around waiting on Spring we'll all get frostbite in the process... Bloody British bloody weather. Glad you're taking the matter into your own hands ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks All at Sea. It's enough to make me want to emigrate right now :0)

      Delete
  6. well it snowed here this evening....again, the 3rd lot we've had since January! Can't even get started on the garden yet, too cold! Good luck with your new project, I love a new project! Can't wait to hear all about it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a new project to invigorate oneself ! Bet TC is loving the snow. x

      Delete
  7. It's the same north of t' border, although one of the trees in our garden started to blossom today with beautiful, rather frail yellow flowers! There is hope! Looking forward to hearing about new project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know that you guys aren't stealing all the sunshine :0)

      Delete
  8. Yea! Fiesty Mummy Plum is back! Fab. Sounds like you have many ideas and lots of enthusiasm to carry them through. I love that you are not hanging around waiting for spring to make you feel better. Go get 'em girly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Polly. Yes, just need to find the time too. That's the hard bit!

      Delete
  9. WE WANT SPRING AND WE WANT IT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do believe the lack of sunshine is making us all feel a little lackluster at the moment. Our bones need warming! I'm sure you know this but I'm finding that when I have moments of complete and utter exhaustion, the more I do, the better I feel. My body needs momentum. Hope the haircut improved your spirits. A bit of pampering always helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The haircut did help. At least I can get a brush through it now! You're right about keeping busy too. x

      Delete
  11. I too have found the drawn out winter sapping and draining, so I totally get where you're coming from. I know that lighter warmer days will always improve my mood and I have been waiting for this to happen. Good for you setting your pace and forcing the change. Wouldn't mind the recipe for those muffins either. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter has seemed unusually long to me. I'll let you know if the muffins are any good. x

      Delete
  12. I hope you've picked up by now - am so behind with everything and everybody. I remember those days of feeding the second and having to get up with the first. I used to think it was smudged mascara under my eyes - but it was dark circles and they wouldn't come off with any remover whatsoever, even baby oil, which is fab for such things! Nice to see your defiance winning and hope your haircut and pedicure have made you feel more like you.:) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment about the dark circles - so funny - and true. Thank goodness for make up.

      Delete
  13. Good for you! I have ditched the comfort eating of winter and we have adopted a healthier more spring-like diet with salads etc. It feels good. Even though I am pregnant, I feel I am putting on more weight than perhaps I should so this move is well timed. Now, where is that blinking sunshine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. Must say, I found it incredibly hard to be healthy when pregnant with no 2. I just craved cake and sweet things all day long! Actually, come to think of it...I still am :0)

      Delete