Pages

Monday, 25 March 2013

Water Baby - EB 4 Months

Our eyes meet.  Lock together.  Yours dance, twinkle. You smile the widest smile and then you turn your head, look away.  Bashful. Coy. As if saying; ’ Me? You’re interested in Me? Surely not.’

Yes. You.

Mr Flirty Pants. 

You’re going to be such a charmer.  I just know it.

I sit you in your bouncy chair whilst I try to get my jobs done. You’re such a distraction. I can’t help but lean forward and look into those sea green eyes and talk to you.  You’re always so very delighted when we have a conversation, you love to talk back in high pitched squeaks, or blow bubbles. You have a lot to say; babble fills an otherwise silent room. You’re quite the little chatterbox. It’s wonderful to share my day with you.

There’s something about you. Something special in the way you are. All mothers say this, I’m sure. But I really think so.  I love the way, when you’re about cry, if I smile, or talk to you, you’ll start to smile and then to laugh instead, as though you can’t help it; the goodness of your soul shines out.  You’re so good natured. I know you’re going to grow into someone wonderful. The certainty of it makes me happy.

Snuggling up and feeding you is one of my favourite things.  It’s a mother’s privilege to feel her infant suckle at her breast. I love the closeness of you.  I love examining each and every tiny hair on your head and the way your eyelashes curl. I love the way you hold my finger tightly with your free hand. But nothing compares to the moments when you smile at me, mid feed, the cheekiest grin emerging through a mouth full of breast. It gets me every time, a 100% guaranteed smile maker.

Last week I took you swimming. A time for us to be together.  Time especially for you. Our first pool experience since your water birth; I wondered what it would be like.  With just my hand behind your head you floated, almost weightless.  Reflections of each other, we looked into each others eyes. Yours smiled. Mine smiled back. Time stood still.

It were as though the mysteries of the universe had been solved, that in that moment, I glimpsed the meaning of life. It was very simple.

Love.

Soundtracked by the echoes of the poolside world around me, I felt myself brimming with love. A surging, circulating warmth, a feeling so strong I felt I could barely could contain it. That love might overspill, come floating out of me, and find it’s way into the warm water.

It was you that made me feel this way.

You.

Love. Enduring. Everlasting. For you, my water baby.


Linking up with Magic Moments at The Oliver's Madhouse

23 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. It really is amazing how love for your child can entirely consume you ... popping over from magic moments x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, love for your child can be completely consuming can't it. Amazing really.

      Delete
  2. Aww. I had a waterbirth as well and Shy has been a water baby ever since! The first time I took her swimming she fell asleep in the pool! Lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely story! Mine hasn't fallen asleep yet but he does love it.

      Delete
  3. Oh this was such a gorgeous post! I smiled through all of it, and I have to thank you for bringing back memories from Little A's first few months - she was such a little flirt too - smiling, then turning her head and coyly looking away. And she used to smile on the breast too - that just killed me - just thinking about it just now, made me pine for that experience again - it was just so special and lovely. I feel all warm and fuzzy now. X. EB sounds so delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you OM, such a special time these first few months. Glad I bought back some happy memories for you. x

      Delete
  4. Your baby sounds a total joy to you. Popping over from magic moments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is. (Unless he's awake at 3,4 and 5 am every night!) Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. EB makes me want to have another, its such a precious time, I could relive my first year with them over and over. You sound so happy MP, love is all you need to quote a Beatle xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on! Do it! It is such a precious time. I keep reminding myself to enjoy each and every moment. It's going so quickly :0(

      Delete
  6. You're such a fantastic writer. Always a joy to read your posts. I think there must be something about second boys. My first is brave, gregarious, a wild one really. But the second is sweet, coy and has a lovely secret smile for his mama. Despite the exhaustion, life is such a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a lovely comment. Thank you. It's so interesting seeing the differences between the two boys isn't it? Am glad things are going well with you and yours too. x

      Delete
  7. What a lovely, lovely post - has really made me smile xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, I love your way with words. The smiles mid feeds always get me too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mid feed smiles are adorable. I love them!

      Delete
  9. I know that feeling! What a lovely post. Your writing is wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Primrose Hill for your kind words :0)

      Delete
  10. You really are a fabulous writer. What a great post. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful, it really is exactly that precious feeling isn't it? Lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful post, been reading it with a big smile on my face. x

    ReplyDelete