Pages

Sunday, 6 January 2013

Looking Forward, Looking Back

I began 2012 with the hope that it would bring better fortune than it’s predecessor; 2011 had been a difficult year.  I approached cautiously, tip toeing gently, feeling my way,  with a silent but simple wish; let it be better. 

It was. SO much better.  Better than I could have dared to hope. 2012 was a wonderful year.  As the year drew to a close, Husband and I celebrated New Year's Eve at home with some close friends.  At midnight, EB, who had slept for the whole evening, was awake and in my arms, as we sang to Auld Lang Syne the emotion swelled forth within me.  The final much longed for piece of the jigsaw, a year ago previously only dreamt of, was now with us.  What a difference a year does make. 

At the start of this new year, there is no trepidation, no wariness.  I feel buoyant and positive.  I’m looking forward to walking bravely through the year’s calendar; through crisp white snow, hair frizzling spring showers, warming rays of sunshine and falling autumn leaves. I am looking forward to embracing each moment in the moment, not crystal ball gazing to the future, but living in the now and enjoying it.

This year, after two years in the planning, we will finally renovate our house and make it home.  This year Pip, my first born, will start school.  These two events on their own mean it will be a big year of change. Add into the mix the many other unknowns that are sure to cross our path and life is sure to be nothing less than exciting.

At the start of each new year I usually make resolutions. I’ve had varying degrees of success at keeping them, but truth be told, I let myself off the hook far too easily. This year I’ve decided not to make any. I’ve got my hands full adjusting to having a new baby and a major renovation project to manage. That’s enough. That’s not to say I don’t have lots of good intentions (curb the sugar habit) or aspirations (write out a proper plan for the novel I have half a plot for in my head), but, I’m not going to make them resolutions or hold myself to them. Given all the other things going on, I’d be putting unnecessary, needless pressure on myself, which won’t make me happy. This year I’ve decided I’m just going to ‘go with the flow’, treat myself kindly, do what I can when I can, and accept that sometimes, things can’t be done, and that’s ok.  If I get to the end of this year and we’re a happy family unit with a new (non leaky) roof over our heads, I’ll feel that I’ve done pretty well. Anything else will be a bonus.

17 comments:

  1. Oh you are such a positive lady Mummy Plum! I think that's an excellent goal for your year ahead - just go with the flow - you have a new baby and a big renovation project to focus on (I hope you do posts on the renovations - I would love to see the changes to faulty towers). What I did for my novel in 2012 was keep a note book and started an excel spreadsheet to brain dump all my ideas.... Anyway I hope that 2013 is a great one for the Plum family (do you think you might brave Britmums this year - I have bought my ticket, my xmas pressie from Younger Dad). XXX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am going to try and do a post or two on the renovations - I just don't know where to start - I guess that sums up how I feel about about the whole project! As for Britmums, am mulling it over. I would really like to go - we'll see if I'm brave enough :0) Happy New Year to you too. x

      Delete
  2. I love it - such a fab post. I too am trying to live for the now and not worry or think about the future xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GM - I do hope 2013 is a good year for you.

      Delete
  3. I look back a lot, wishing, wanting to go back but every new year I try to move forward, TC sees to that! No resolutions here, only un-resolutions, much more laid back about it all these days, I agree totally about unnecessary pressure, got the t-shirt, not going back there, like OM says go with the flow. I'll be curbing the sugar habit with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pop over to your blog to look for sugar curbing tips then! Happy new year x

      Delete
  4. What lovely, wise words. Glad to see you're feeling brighter - back to your normal optimistic self and with so much joy in your life, why wouldn't you be? Lovely to read. Happy New Year to you all. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Happy New Year to you and your boys too.x

      Delete
  5. A lovely post :) Happy New Year! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year. Hope you are enjoying your first year as a family of 3 x

      Delete
  6. Lovely post and so refreshing to see (non resolution) plans that aren't about beating yourself up or holding yourself to some impossible plan. More and more people seem to be doing that. It IS amazing, what a difference a year can make. I love reading your posts, such a happy time for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Polly. Yes, a year can make such a difference. I hope 2013 is a good one for you.

      Delete
  7. How very sensible and a beautifully written post - I have goose bumps just reading it :) you should definitely write that novel, but as you say, everything in it's time. Treasure your new little family and 'enjoy the moment' - I shall be taking that sage piece of advice into 2013 with me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe one day I will pen my novel. At least I'm practicing burning the midnight oil! Wishing you a wonderful 2013, full of enjoyable moments. x

      Delete
  8. What a lovely post. So pleased for you. Is incredible how things can turn from awful to perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, the renovation of faulty towers is all due to start! Exciting, sometimes stressful I would imagine, times ahead, but oh my gosh when you start to see all that planning start to come to fruition - well celebrations all round!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mummy Plum! How did the renovation come along? And how are you doing? What material did you get for your new roof? I had my roof replaced with metal roofing a few years back. When I looked up what it was, I discovered that it was made up of 30-60% recycled material, making it very environmentally friendly; and depending on where you are, you can save up to 40% in your energy costs! It also has a variety of designs, textures, and colors. You won’t be running out of design ideas any time soon! Haha!

    ReplyDelete