Pages

Saturday, 12 January 2013

Lap Chat - On the Sofa with EB (6 weeks)

Look at you, holding your head up now, meerkat like, alert and checking out the world around you.  There’s such a lot to see, isn’t there?

What fabulous little legs you have. Those rolls of fat around your thighs are adorable. I love the contented roundness of you, of your barrel chest; the fact that even your bellybutton is rotund.

Your skin feels soft, smooth; completely unsullied and unscarred. A blank canvas of purity. There is nothing softer in the whole wide world. Mother nature is so clever. Man, with all his technology, cannot produce anything that comes close to the silken feel of your flawless skin.

Your eyes, like mill pools, are the deepest, darkest blue.  I can see myself reflected in them. They light up when you smile.   Your mouth contorts first; this way and that. You wriggle slightly, as if moving your body at the same time will help you coax it out. It’s strange, getting the hang of this smiling lark, isn’t it?  And then it comes, the circumzenithal arc across your face.  Your smile, a real smile.  Like an upside down rainbow, casting light all around.  It causes the shape of your eyes to change. No longer wide, open gazing eyes, now almond like. Crinkled at the corners. Smiling eyes.

Hey, I’m smiling now.  Your smile makes me smile.  In fact, I can’t stop smiling when you smile. I’ve smiled so much my cheeks are actually aching.  Is that funny?  Something seems to be amusing to you. Oh, you are adorable.  Have I told you that today?

Can you talk to me?  Go on, I know you want to. You’re trying so hard. If you keep trying, soon you’ll make a sound, I promise. Oh wow! You did it!  I love that cooing sound. You remind me of a little bird when you open your mouth and try to talk,  searching deep within for sweet, melodic notes.  What else can you tell me?  Tell me something else. I love the sound of your little voice. I promise I’ll treasure every sound, every word, even though I can’t quite decipher them all yet.

That’s a funny face; all screwed up. What’s wrong? You seemed so happy a minute ago.    Oh don’t cry, please don’t cry. We were having such a lovely chat. Mummy doesn’t know what’s wrong.

What’s that noise? A 21 gun canon salute?

Hold on; my lap feels warm.  And wet. 

Ah. Poo bombed. Again. I’m honoured. Really, I am.

You’re smiling now. Yes, I’m sure it is very funny.  Did you know that these are my best trousers?

I’ll let you off, for the second time (today).

It’s a good job I love you so much.

13 comments:

  1. Awww I love this!Little Man and I have the same conversation often. He is perfecting the art of weeing on me at nappy change time at the moment but when he breaks into that smile I can't help but smile back even as it's dripping down my trousers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there are more dangers with nappy changing a boy than a girl..but I could be wrong! This phase of first smiles is so lovely, I'd forgotten how heart warming it is. Makes me feel warm all over :0)

      Delete
  2. Just lovely. And I loved that you compared EB's smile to an upside rainbow - I didn't know what a circumzenithal arc was until I read your post (just researched it). New born eyes are just so bright - so translucent. And that baby smell.... and that super soft skin - just gorgeous. Mmmmm, and there are the poo explosions - hope you have lots of emergency trousers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know an upside down rainbow existed either until a few years ago. I love them :0). Am very short on the trouser front - either baggy maternity ones or pre-baby ones that don't fit. I refuse to buy any new ones in a bigger size, hence a lot of washing being done in this house at the moment!

      Delete
  3. Love the description of the event! I can just see it happening. But on the day my little man became clean and started using the loo properly, I lost all tolerance for baby poo. Great that little EB thought it was so funny! And you too. Polly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly. Amazing where we find the inspiration to write!

      Delete
  4. Haha! Not been poo bombed on myself yet, just on his clothes! I did however chance a bum change on our bed without the changing mat this morning though and he decided to wee right at the last minute-no lie in for me (I should have turned him onto James' side ;)!

    Beautiful post, I can spend hours looking at Sam's face. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Handmade Mum. Nappy changes on the bed are always fraught with dangers I find - it's almost fate they'll catch you out :0) Hope you're well. x

      Delete
  5. Ah poo-bombs & let's not forget the boy fountains, all part of the daily fun! EB sounds like a lovely contented baby and you sound so very happy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely. You forget what it's like to have a newborn and the huge emotions you feel to this little stranger! You write beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want a baby with fat legs! I love those little rolls but neither of my boys have them. I love the picture you paint of EB learning to smile - soooo nice. I've been peed on twice this week - not pleasant but not poo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love him too, I just know it. What a beautiful lap chat X

    ReplyDelete
  9. AW how lovely, time flies so quickly somehow my girl is now 8m and she's less inclined to cuddle and wants to explore instead, enjoy every precious moment!

    ReplyDelete