Pages

Saturday, 1 December 2012

A New Arrival

Perhaps it was the full moon; midwives say that maternity wards are always busiest when the moon is full. Perhaps it was the fact he sensed that if he came one day early, his birth date would be exactly double the numerical value of his brother's. Or maybe, he just couldn’t wait any longer to meet us.

At 5am we drove swiftly through the streets of west London to get to the hospital. The world around us was gently coming to life. Lights flickering on in houses, people walking with purpose through the streets.  It’s funny the things that go through your mind; despite more pressing things to occupy myself with, I found myself wondering what on earth so many people were doing up and about at 5 o’clock in the morning.

The birth centre was silent and dimly lit when we arrived. Not one other labouring mother. Just me.  I found calm in the stillness of it all.  A short while later, the birthing pool was filled, the lights were turned down low.  As I eased myself into the warmth of the water, it soothed the increasing pain of the contractions.  The midwife sat one side of me, husband the other.  A large clock on the window sill marked time. It seemed to move slowly. The light outside changed from dawn to daylight and the world outside became alive with the hustle and bustle of a new day.  Insulated from it, the three of us stayed within the small room, silent and peaceful. Patiently waiting.  As the rise and fall of contractions reached their crescendo, I knew he was close.  Just minutes away from being in my arms.  Relief. The midwife busied, getting a clamp ready for the cord, towels ready to dry us. Moments later, there he was; pushed through the water, into my waiting arms.  My vernix covered water baby.  He didn’t cry, but just looked towards me and made a croaking noise, as if to say ‘hello’, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

I’d tried hard not to imagine what he would look like, to not have a pre-determined picture of him in my mind. As it was, EB turned out to be more gorgeous than I could ever have imagined,  a mass of dark hair and deep blue eyes.  Not small, at 8lb 13oz, but in my arms he still seemed tiny,  a scrunched up ball of minuscule fingers and toes and a tiny red rooting tongue as bright as a strawberry.   Six hours later we bought him home. 

His big brother is delighted with him. Their introduction, one of the most heartwarming, wonderful memories of my whole life.  Pip, sweet, caring, and delightful, as ever.  The genuine joy on his face at meeting his little brother and holding him in his arms is something I will never forget.

It’s been an exhausting but wonderful few days. It feels like EB has always been here.  Already I can’t imagine life without him.   Slowly we are adjusting to life as four.  Three days in, EB seems a pretty chilled out baby.  He sleeps most of the time and has embraced the challenge of tackling my increasingly swollen breasts with gusto.  Pip loves his little brother and is adjusting well.  He sings him lullabies when he cries,  I am so proud of him.  He seems larger to me now, no longer seems the little person he was three days ago. I keep telling myself, he is still the same, it’s just my frame of reference has changed. That he is still my Peter Pan.  That there is no sense of loss, only the joy of gaining another.

Family and friends are visiting to pay homage to the new arrival, but in small periods in between we are beginning to find our new sense of ‘normal’. (Although frankly our new normal cannot possibly continue to include quite as much cake in Mummy’s diet - but for now, it’s ok).  Feeling our way on this new journey, everything feels good, feels celebratory.  I feel calm and contented. My boys seem calm and contented. We’re all a bit tired, but it’s all good. Happy Days. 

27 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you all. Many, many warmest congratulations, again! We're so proud of you. So glad it went so smoothly. You sound deliriously happy. Welcome EB. I look forward to reading all about you. And a special 'Hello' to big brother Pip. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anya, thank you for your lovely words. They mean a lot x

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, and so beautifully written despite how tired you must be!

    Sounds like the birth went well and a nice healthy weight too, glad Pip seems to have adjusted well to the change also, not sure if it's my hormones at the moment but I had tears in my eyes in the paragraph where you introduced them to each other because it's made me think of introducing Alex to this one.

    Enjoy all the cake eating, and all the best xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you too. Not long to go now. Hopefully Alex will be as enchanted with his little brother or sister as Pip is with his. x

      Delete
  3. Huge congratualtions, you make having a 2nd sound perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well, if you're considering it... a second is rather fun!

      Delete
  4. Many, many congratulations on your new arrival. What a lovely post, I'm so glad it all went so well, so glad it all went the way you wanted it to. You sound wonderfully happy and relaxed. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly. Yes, so far so good. x

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your new baby boy! Enjoy! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!!!!!! This made my week to read!!!!! Congrats to your family and great work momma and welcome to the world baby boy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wonderful. Many, many, many congratulations! You sound so very, very happy, and I am so pleased you had what sounds another peaceful water birth (must have added to the occasion that the birthing centre was so quiet. EB sounds delightful (little strawberry tongue - that made me melt - now I'm feeling broody!) Very well done to Pip for being such a lovely big brother - what a moment when they were introduced to each other! And huge well done to you mummy - sounds like you are taking it in your stride with a little help of cake!!!!! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact I'm making you feel broody! What else should I write? x

      Delete
  8. Huge congratulations to you all! An absolutely gorgeous account of his birth - you make it sounds so easy! Enjoy every moment (including the cake!)x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Mummy Plum. This was a beautiful read. Hope family are all well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy days indeed, well done MP, a good birth story too. Lots of love to you all, enjoy this newborn haze, it's a very special time xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!! what a lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful post - so eloquently written! Congratulations on your new arrival :) Looking forward to reading about all your future adventures together xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww congratulations. Agree, a beautiful post, sounds like a wonderful birth. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can feel the contentment in each word and it is beautiful and calming to read. Congratulations to you all, especially Pip who seems to be so delighted with your new family member.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh honey, what a simply beautiful post. Massive congratulations to you all, enjoy these precious first days together xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That made me cry! You took me straight back to the birth of Baby E, just 5 months ago. Huge congratulations. I'm so pleased that it all went so smoothly. Enjoy every minute - before long you'll be weaning and wondering where the time went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry! Time does fly so quickly doesn't it. I sort of wish the newborn phase was slightly longer :0)

      Delete
  17. If I wasn't already pregnant, I would be hugely broody after reading this. Massive congratulations to you and your family. I'm so pleased you had such a wonderful birth experience. I was worried for you but for absolutely no reason. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job you are already pregnant then! Thanks for your lovely words and well wishes. Your turn next :0)

      Delete
  18. I came along hoping to see some good news and it was there waiting for me! Congratulations I am so so pleased he has arrived safely into the world! It sounds like such a wonderful birth enjoy these very precious moments and time at home as a foursome XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for popping by and your well wishes. I've been thinking of you. Big hugs x

      Delete