Pages

Thursday, 4 October 2012

Makeover

People talk about the ‘bloom’ of pregnancy; the glowing skin, thick luscious hair and strong, pink fingernails.  It is my pleasure to confirm that I am currently experiencing all of these benefits as a mother to be.  Yet, despite these wonderful positive attributes, despite the addition of some new maternity items to my wardrobe, I still feel like an over sized troglodyte.   The only way I seem to be able to placate these feelings is by spending money on accessories.  Purses, necklaces, earrings, floaty scarfs; I have become a compulsive accessoriser.  The one benefit of spending money on these things is that they’ll always fit. 

A good friend was recently bought a post baby makeover by her husband.  What a wonderful gift.  Off she went on a champagne fuelled styling frenzy, six months post the birth of her daughter with the aim of creating a chic capsule wardrobe. She came away with well fitting jeans (goodbye elasticated waists), a smart casual blazer, stripy Breton tops, and a sense of which items co-ordinated with which and worked well with her newly regained figure. She was full of praise for the experience and how much it had made her feel a little like her old self again.   Perhaps when the maternity bras have turned grey and the breast feeding tops have started to sag slightly too much, my dearest will surprise me with the same treatment.  *Given he doesn’t read this blog this will require some hinting on my part.*

In the meantime, despite adorning myself with various fripperies, the underlying desire to make myself over is still there.  But really, what sane pregnant woman cuts her hair short, especially when she’s had long tresses all her life?  So, taking the age old advice, that no hormonally charged, gestating woman should drastically change her barnet, I am staying away from the hairdressers.

Instead, I’ve given my virtual self a makeover.  Have you noticed?  I do hope you like the new look Mummy Plum.  I can’t take the credit myself, there is no way my currently scrambled brain could manage to achieve a look like this.  The credit for my lovely makeover lies with the super Liz at Violet Posy Designs.  She has been wonderful in holding my hand and managing my indecisiveness this week, and I’m sublimely happy with the end result.  Even if the real me doesn’t feel very polished right now, my blog certainly does.

Now all I need to do is insert some matchsticks in my eyes and write some posts.

13 comments:

  1. Bravo Bravo ... it looks fabulous! Now I know we've never met, but I can still tell this design is very you - enchanting, and very stylish. It really reflects your blog and writing style - love the reference to your plum trees and those pesky plum thieving green parakeets. Excellent make over. Now get pimping your blog girl! When Violet Posy designed mine - I think I drove her insane! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Older Mum, I think you have a much more flattering image of me in your imagination than you would find in real life! Got any good pimping tips?? x

      Delete
  2. I love the new look - noticed it straight away. So stylish and chic. Anything with birds on it is a good look in my opinion. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful blog (in look and content) - I am absolutely adoring the new font. May need to check out Violet Posy Designs myself... And NO avoid the hairdressers at all costs! Remember short locks take way more time to maintain than long!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wouldn't a post baby make-over be soooo fab?! Must start leaving notes around the house about it :D Love your new virtual makeover, it looks absolutely gorgeous, very chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way... who did your friend do the makeover with?

      Delete
    2. The local Westfield shopping centre has a 'stylist' service. I've also known mums who've had them done with a personal shopper at HOF or John Lewis. I've only ever heard good things about them.

      Delete
  5. The new blog design is lovely. I wish you well to write in it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Well done for having the motivation when you've got so much else going on! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. And so's your new look blog. Bravo Liz and you too X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, lovely blog and fab post! I know exactly how you feel but I have much longer to go! I have hinted at a pre OR post birth spa day but considering I didn't even get a card or flowers after the birth of our daughter I think that is wishful thinking! lol Looking forward to hearing how your last few weeks go! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Looking forward to following yours too. x

      Delete
  9. It is very important also to make yourself more presentable always even if you are pregnant. Making oneself more pleasing and beautiful always can boost your confidence.

    ReplyDelete