Pages

Thursday, 6 September 2012

From Summer to September

I can tell that summer is over.  Despite the warm sunshine, the last couple of mornings have had a definite chill about them and I’ve wondered at what point I can justify turning the heating on. ( End of October  - if you ask my hardy northern Husband.)  This summer has been great, we’ve spent lots of time together as a family, been out and about lots, and had lots of fun. I feel that we made the most of it, right up until the final furlong.  I haven’t had the chance to write about it as much as I would have liked, but sticking with the motto of ‘live first, write later’, I’ve just tried to document what I can, where I can. Now September is here, I have a little more time to reflect.

Here’s some of the things I enjoyed about the last couple of weeks of summer:



Glamping. We enjoyed a few days ‘glamping’ on the Jurassic coast last week.  The tent in the field looks idyllic - doesn’t it?  Pretty much, it was, with fully made up kingsize bed, and a small blow up bed for Pip. The only problem was the 45 degree slope of a field the beds were positioned on, which meant we kept sliding down our beds all night.  Apart from that, we had a fabulous time.  I’ve not visited the coast in that area of the world before, and we had some great days on the beaches (with good weather - hurrah!) teaching Pip how to crab.  He seemed to really enjoy this experience until we actually caught a crab, at which point he would turn and run swiftly in the other direction.

The Orchid.  Last weekend, Husband and Pip returned home from a trip out with an orchid, as an impromptu gift.  I’d been feeling a bit grumpy (don’t know why...hormones? I’m pregnant, so I’ll blame it on that...) and they wanted to cheer me up.  For the next week, said orchid was watered until, one evening, we realised it was actually a fake and the flowers were in fact, silk.  It must be a good fake because it even absorbed the water (although possibly this means the base is now rotting.) Anyhow, every time I look at it, I smile.

Snap Happy. After a spring hiatus when I simply could not get Pip to even look at the camera lens, I managed to take some great portrait shots of him this last month or so. I’m relieved, as my 2013 photo calendar for the Grandparents was in danger of looking decidedly substandard compared to previous years. (I’ve no idea if they still like getting one of these each year, but it’s a relatively cheap, personal Christmas pressie to make and I do enjoy doing it. What grandparent wouldn’t want a personalised photo calendar of their little darling, I ask you?)

Back to School.  This week Pip started back at his Montessori school after the summer break.  He will now be on full ‘pre-school’ hours and attending each morning.  He was so pleased to go back yesterday, and I felt such relief as I watched him bound through the door without any tears, looking forward to seeing his ‘friends’.  I’m really looking forward to having a bit of ‘me’ time over the next three months before baby comes.  At 6 months pregnant, I’m definitely feeling more tired now, and it will be great to have some time to sit down with a cup of tea/blog/read each morning...or rather, sort out all the cupboards and get organised before baby comes.

Right now, I feel content.  The sun is shining through the (rather dirty) kitchen windows,  the birds are singing in the garden, and I’m welcoming the return to routine after a fabulous summer.  The slow chill of autumn is just around the corner and there is much to look forward to; russet red leaves falling from the trees, Halloween, and the opportunity to get Pip dressed up, the wonderment of fireworks on Bonfire night, the promise of Christmas, and of course, the arrival of Baby EB.  There are good times ahead, I can feel it.


Linking up with Reasons to be Cheerful  hosted this week at Tiger Tales.

22 comments:

  1. Another autumn-loving post!

    Adore the idea of glamping in yurts,we haven't managed it yet.

    Nothing more bittersweet than seeing little one run into school/childcare without so much as a backward glance. Hope he loves it!

    Found you through the linky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glamping is yurts is definitely the way forward if you want to camp but still like your creature comforts :0)

      Delete
  2. A lovely post :). We enjoyed camping over the summer too with a trip to Lincolnshire and Dorset... minus the slopes - did they tell you about that before you arrived?! I bet it was annoying!

    With the orchid being silk it will last forever and what a lovely gift that was.

    Sounds like you have lots to look forward to x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is something special about camping with kids. They love it. No, they didn't tell us about the slopes. We tried to correct it by shoving various items under the beds but it didn't really work! Think we were a little unlucky as some of the other guests did seem to have beds which had been made more level.

      Delete
  3. Wow, awesome reasons! It really is glamping if you got a king sized bed, lol. I love orchids too but I don't have a green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to go glamping! Sounds so much fun x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I soooo want to try clamping :) I'm sure I'd love it and it would give me reasons to be cheerful also! Lovely post xxx found you via the bloghop for #R2BC ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post! Glamping sounds amazing, definitely something I would be up for trying! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I too have felt it being more autumnal-I feel a bit cheated after the lousy summer.

    Glamping looks fun, silly about the beds though!

    I have too many cupboards/things to sort out before baby-perhaps I should have put Alex into preschool for more sessions ;) enjoy your free mornings whilst you can though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pip started in January doing 3 afternoons a week - so he's been able to get used to it for a while, hence why I think he bounded in this week. If Alex gets on well these next few weeks you could always see if you can increase it then? x

      Delete
  8. What a happy, heartwarming post. Have considered 'glamping' - could not manage the real thing despite friends continued insistence and my eldest went to Montessori which set him up beautifully for school. My youngest started last half term. It's wonderful. And yes,a small gathering might be lovely ? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This kind of Glamping was great. Hot showers, very clean toilets and a separate restaurant/ mess tent with bar/tea/ coffee/ cake that made wonderful food for evening meals. There was swingball and games for the kids and Pip loved it. Check out Pop Up Hotels. You might find you can do it! x

      Delete
  9. Lovely reasons to be cheerful! Glamping sounds fab, that would be my kind of camping! I'm glad your son settled straight in to his pre-school. My son starts pre-school next week and he's really excited about it. Enjoy your child free mornings and try to balance your baby preparations with putting your feet up! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to your boy. I hope it goes well. x

      Delete
  10. camping, not even glamping would entice me, tried it once, never again, I need a door with a lock! How have you found Montessori? I visited one and TC loved it but she is still in the running around phase and it was like no-one was allowed to run or make noise and I found it a bit restricting, maybe at just 2 she is a bit young?? Glad Pip is enjoying it, will give you some serious nesting time xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal experience of Montessori has been great. Pip started at 2.5 yrs. Before that, he went to a daycare nursery for a couple of sessions a week - and particularly towards the end, he hated it. It was a free for all and I think he got bored. In contrast, when at 2.5 he started doing 3 afternoon sessions a week at the Montessori he couldn't wait to get there. I think he benefited from the structure and discipline there. I liked the way they have to shake hands with the teacher at the start and end of each session and say hello and goodbye, and look them in the eye - I think these are all good life lessons to instill early on. During the course of the session they are free to play with what they want, but there are rules about putting one activity away before getting another one out etc. I think the structure of it is all good preparation for starting school. I particularly have noticed a difference in the quality of the staff compared to the day nursery. At the day nursery they are carers at the Montessori, they are like Montessori teachers, usually more mature people, and it shows.
      Am not sure if 2 is too young or not, maybe, as a lot of the one's around here take children from 2.5 and there must be a reason why. You could try it and see how she gets on? She obviously enjoyed it and that's the main thing. x

      Delete
    2. I think she's too young, one takes them at 2.5 so February and another straight away. We are seeing a village nursery on Monday which is highly recommended so a good start & maybe Monty in the Spring. Do they do any outdoor activities, I couldn't see any evidence of any. I would rather she stayed with me but she loves other children & I know it will be good for her. Thanks MP x

      Delete
    3. In London space is more limited - the place Pip goes only has limited outdoor space - but, yes, they do things like planting flowers and drawing with chalk outside. We spend nearly every waking minute in the garden/park/outside, so again, I don't mind so much about the fact the outdoor space is limited, because he's only there for a 3 hour session anyway. (In the bigger Monti near my old house, they use the park quite a lot and I notice at that one, the children are outside playing with bats / balls/ hoops etc a lot in good weather.) Every nursery varies in what they do - even Monti to Monti and day care to Monti.

      Go with your gut feel. In my experience this is usually right. I know it will be a wrench for you, but yes, it probably will be good for her. Perhaps go and revisit the Monti in springtime when you've also got some benchmarks from the village nursery to compare to? Good luck.x

      Delete
  11. Wow! Not long to go now - you are in the final stretch of your pregnancy! It will be so nice to have more time to yourself over the week now Pip is attending pre-school hours - that will be Little A next Easter! Now I would love to go glamping - much more civilised than camping - is on my list of must do 2013! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, the final stretch..and boy is it going SLOWLY. Yes, I am loving the fact Pip is attending on pre-school hours. I plan to make the most of it as come the end of November I'll have no time to myself at all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Content is a wonderful way to be feeling! Mich x

    ReplyDelete