Pages

Monday, 17 September 2012

30 Weeks Pregnant


It seems as though it has taken an age to reach the 30 week milestone. But finally, I’m here.   It’s been a slow, lumbering journey this last few weeks. This pregnancy has been very different from my last.  I feel like I've hit the wall earlier this time, I’m really tired.  Here are the headlines:

Mind the Bump
Friends, family (and complete strangers for that matter) appear to think my bump is huge.  I’m past caring. As long as there is a healthy baby inside, I’m not bothered how big I look.  Truth be told, I’ve got to the point where I find it rather amusing when people say; "Oooh, look at the size of you.  You must be ready to drop any day now.", because it gives me the opportunity to say;  "No, actually, I’ve still got another 10 weeks" and watch the reaction on their faces.  Some just stand and stare in amazement, others back track with slightly embarrassed comments.  It’s definitely a bigger bump than the one I had with Pip.  That said, when the midwife measured me this week, everything was bang on average for size, so maybe it’s just perception, or the way I’m carrying. Either way, I look like I’ve swallowed an over sized football.

The Disco Kid

It turns out that EB is already like his brother in one respect.  He loves a late night party.  Well past midnight? Then it’s time to shake out the moves and party like it’s 2012.  This makes me slightly apprehensive, even before Pip was born, his late night shenanigans made me fear that he would be a bad sleeper. And I was right, he wasn’t a good sleeper and never has been.  Clearly, all babies are not the same, but I was hoping this one might be a bit better. Now I’m not so sure, perhaps it's just the reoccuring sense of deja vu.  I guess time will tell... 

Zombie
I. am. exhausted. For the last two weeks I have been suffering from terrible insomnia.  And if it’s not that, it’s night leg cramps, feeling too hot, feeling dehydrated or getting up countless times to deliver another thimble sized deposit of wee into the toilet.  Husband has decamped to the spare room.  I don’t blame him.  I wouldn’t want to sleep next to me either right now, I’m not a good bedfellow.

Nesting
Despite the tiredness, I am focused on getting the house ready for our new arrival.  It’s a tricky one, as we did not expect to be at Faulty Towers by the time EB was born - we were supposed to be moved out and mid - demolition and rebuild.  But, for reasons that should probably be the subject of another post, we’re still going to be here.  Having lived in a house with bare light bulbs and minimal curtains for the past two years, just 'putting up with it', I suddenly find myself, even if it’s only to be for a short while, unable to stand it.  After living with substandard blinds in our bedroom for all this time, last week I went and bought some cheap blackout curtains for the room not only to make it darker, but to keep the draft away from EB’s cot - as the only place it can go will be near the window.  I can’t doubt their effectiveness, it’s just a shame that they are responsible for the multitude of bruises  covering my body. It’s so dark in our bedroom now, I keep injuring myself every time I get out of bed to go to the toilet - thankfully my yelps of pain do not appear to be waking the rest of the sleeping household.

Getting Organised
 
Like many mothers to be, there’s a part of me that doesn’t want to plan or organise too much too early.  Superstitious? Maybe.  But last week, I succumbed to temptation and got my Dad to make up the cot and sorted through all of Pip’s old baby clothes.  I felt I needed to do it, to start getting some level of preparation and order into place. Despite turning the house upside down, I simply cannot find a couple of things from first time around.  Electric breast pump - vanished.  Bassinet fabric for pram carry cot - nowhere to be seen. (I simply have to find this as an online search for a replacement indicates it will cost a small fortune.)  Perhaps if I insert some longer matchsticks into my eyes during this week’s search I will find them. 

The Name Game.
Have we found a name for EB yet?  No, of course not. Last week after an extended perusal of the baby naming book I found a name I thought was lovely, unusual and would go with Pip’s.   Tentatively, I dropped it into a conversation with my dearly beloved, only to find that he had actually had known someone with same said name. Said person was damned as being a ‘despicable person’ (strong words coming from one of the nicest men in the world). So, that’s another name crossed off the list.  The quest continues...

21 comments:

  1. I didn't want to not comment, I had forgotten that you now have passed into that final 10 weeks....I really hope these last few weeks go well hun, and for every one that comments on how big you are, please feel proud and say, yup I am! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and commenting and your thoughtful words. You are absolutely right of course. x

      Delete
  2. Well, how rude of people to comment on the size of the bump but yes, everyone does it and probably even me now that I'm past the stage of having babies! Lovely to start getting all of the baby things out, it's an exciting journey, enjoy every moment. All babies are different from one another and I don't think that the midnight shenanigans mean that he/she is necessarily going to be a poor sleeper, maybe just until the night/day patterns get sorted....looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only now the shoe is on the other foot I think 'I'll never mention a pregnant woman's size again!'.

      Fingers crossed I get a sleeper this time...your comment has given me hope.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like your bump is brill, and you probably have a large amniotic sack which means that baby is in great condition. So you might have a deluge when you give birth! Anyway, ignore all those comments.

    Oh those last months - i remember having such disrupted sleep - and the night cramps were horrible - I used to scream! Agree, with Suzanne, it doesn't mean baby will be a bad sleeper.

    Bah to your husband's sabotaging your naming efforts - don't worry, chin up, that name will appear! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about it when I had Pip they did comment that there was a very large placenta. Maybe it's the same again? (Not that I'm planning to save it or anything!).x

      Delete
  4. Are you really that huge?! Sorry, very impolite of me to ask ;-) I'm with you on the organizing front. Part of me doesn't want to tempt fate by getting things ready too early and yet I don't want to leave it too late and be too large and tired to enjoy it. Are you napping during the day? I always try to have an hour when I'm not at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woman in M&S yesterday asked me if it was twins. I don't know if people just say this stuff to annoy pregnant ladies! I don't know. Sometimes I think yes, I'm big, sometimes I think no. It doesn't matter either way really. I feel so blessed to be pregnant.

      I so wish I could nap in the day, but Pip it is too old now for a daytime sleep and I wouldn't trust him to be wandering the house alone whilst I took a nap!

      Delete
  5. I hope these 10 weeks go quickly for you! I think I need to follow your lead and start getting organised, but like you don't want to do too much, just in case. Typical about the name-so annoying when you find one you like and the other half doesn't!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks..I'd like them to go quickly too. Yes, the name thing is very annoying!

      Delete
  6. I remember people saying how huge I was in the final stages and feeling surprised that they would think it was okay to say that. When you are feeling a bit like a beached whale, it doesn't help when someone points out that you might look like one! Saying that, I would so love to have a big bump right now. Feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment as I would have been due next month if I hadn't lost the baby, and probably would be looking like a beached whale by now. We have been trying again for six months and no joy. Each month is so disappointing, especially as friends keep announcing they are pregnant again. Did you have to wait a long time before falling after your miscarriage (hope you don't mind me asking)? re your placenta - I wrote a piece for The Green Parent about placenta encapsulation and it converted me. I am not saying I would eat raw placenta, but would certainly get it made into capsules. It can really help with energy levels and those first two weeks which can be so emotional. Give me a shout and I will email it over to you if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs to you. It is so hard when friends keep falling and it's not you. Especially after losing one. Two of my NCT friends were due the same month as me with their second, and I found it hard when the birth month came and they had their babies and I didn't. Of course I don't mind you asking how long it took post the mc. It was a year before we conceived again. By that point I was getting to the point where I thought it might not ever happen. But thankfully it did. I hope it does for you too. x

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind reply. Sometimes you just need to know others have been through the same don't you? It is very reassuring to hear when things turn out alright in the end. xx

      Delete
  7. When is say email it over - I mean the feature, not any body parts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes...would love to have a read. Please send to hellomummyplum(at)gmail(dot)com. (Hope that makes sense..just trying to foil any spammers out there!)

      Delete
  8. Glad it's all going so well - which, it is really! - have you tried Osteopathy for your discomfort and insomnia. I had it through both my pregnancies and am sure it is what put us all in tip top form for two perfectly natural deliveries - no tears etc. You sound like you're making the most of this time - the last with your little one alone is to be treasured. My eldest often refers to when it was just me and him and he was nearly four when the baby came!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No haven't tried osteopathy but you are the second person that has mentioned it so I think I may give it a try. How lovely that your eldest remembers the time when it was just the two of you - so sweet. x

      Delete
  9. I love this post - reminds me of being pregnant with J2 :-) You will look back on all those things with rose tinted specs soon enough! There is a little baby boom amoungst my friends at the moment, I can't wait for you all to have your bubba's! Is going to be a wonderful year to be born!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 2012 does seem a good year to be born. Am wondering whether he should have an Olympian name!

      Delete
  10. Oh, dear, that finding a name thing. I find that as soon as a name is 'outed' SOMEONE doesn't like it. Maddening. Whatever you choose will be fab...
    Good luck with the insomnia, isn't it awful... night after night..and just when you want all the sleep you can get in preparation for all the sleep you won't get. Nature is sometimes flipping cruel.
    I found that a nice book helped... husband didn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've got a good book by the side of the bed..only problem is having the light on keeps the husband awake. I can't win! Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete