Pages

Thursday, 26 July 2012

Rays of Sunshine

After what feels like weeks of non stop rain, the sunshine has finally arrived. Already my memories of soggy July are fading, and my inner optimist is hopeful for a sun baked August.  In the preceding weeks I’ve often repeated to myself, the old adage; ‘carry your weather with you’, but some days, I’ll admit, the weather has worn me down. I feel it should be sunny in July, that I have a right to bask in a few warm rays and absorb some essential vitamin D. When the weather gods fail to deliver (despite constant prayers), I find my positivity floundering, especially with a young ball of testosterone bouncing around.  So, hurrah indeed for a much needed slice of British sunshine and for the warmth and happiness it spreads.

Apart from the wonderful weather, these are the things that have me cheerful this week:

Our Garden

The hydrangeas are in bloom.  Huge powder pink pom poms with confetti like petals. The frequent rain has left some of them lying on the mossy ground, but I don’t care, I still think that they look wonderful.  Hydrangeas are one of my favourite flowers.  Every time I walk into the garden and see them they give me pleasure.


The plum tree is now ripening fruit too. Small green hard pellets are gradually turning a light pinky red colour before they deepen into dark purple juicy plums.  Last year I made plum ketchup, jam (a disaster) and chutney with the fruit from the tree.  This year the tree seems to have become a favourite hang out for the local green parakeet population. Yesterday I counted four of the luminous little blighters trying to camouflage themselves within the leaves as they pecked away at my plums. That said, it seems likely that it will be a challenge for them to eat the lot so I’m hopeful I’ll have at least enough to ensure a repeat production of last year’s well received ketchup.


Cherries, Berries and Fruity Flavours

In this warm summer weather, fresh fruit has never tasted so good.  Especially if it’s been kept in the fridge. I find cold nectarines especially refreshing.  Normally, I tend to buy my fruit from the supermarket, for ease as much as anything else.  But this last two weeks, I’ve been visiting a market fruit and veg stall.  Large, plump beetroots, sumptuous oranges, huge slices of red watermelon, sweet red strawberries, giant peaches - all to be found at rock bottom prices.  I have indulged myself in an abundance of fruity delights. However, the piece de resistance; my ‘cannot walk past without buying’ fruit, is the humble cherry.   I simply love cherries and on the market, they’re an absolute bargain. I dread to think how many cherries I have eaten this week, but it’s a lot.  Simply delicious.


Summer Brights

Maybe it’s the sunshine, but I’ve found myself drawn to bright, cheerful colours this week.  We needed some new teaspoons (why do teaspoons disappear more often than everything else?) and I settled on these.  I think they’re fabulous.

Which colour would you choose?
A Birthday

It was husband’s birthday on Saturday.  I make a real effort to make everyone’s birthday in our house special.  I don’t believe birthdays should just be special for children.  When I think about how hard my husband works to provide for us, and generally, what a good man he is, it makes me want to make his day extra special.  It was a special day.  Pip and I rose early to wrap presents, and Pip wanted to decorate the lounge with balloons as a surprise (that’s what we’d done for his birthday so it had to be the same.) We had made a red velvet cake the day before, and in the morning, finished decorating it with chocolate stars.  Husband seemed genuinely pleased with his presents and we took a long walk to Chiswick House, had lunch and relaxed. In the afternoon, at Pip’s insistence, we played ‘pass the parcel',  just the 3 of us. Funnily enough, Daddy didn’t seem to mind that Pip won the ‘Percy' wooden train at the end. 
 
Red velvet cake with cream cheese and mascarpone frosting

A Boy

After some deliberation we chose our moment, and decided to peek ‘inside the envelope’ given to us (at our request) by our sonographer and discover whether the baby inside was a boy or a girl.  We were delighted to find out that Pip will have a little brother. It’s been lovely this week looking through the boy section of the names book and window shopping for some baby things with the knowledge that we have another son on the way.

For more reasons to be cheerful, or to share your own, link up at Mummy from the Heart.




Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart

15 comments:

  1. Exciting news for you.I like the birthday cake you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a lovely week you have had. I need to eat ALOT more fruit. I'm eating far too much icecream at the moment. Your garden sounds fab - so that's where all those green parakeets have gone, I hadn't noticed them in my local park of late. Missus, your blog and writing is particularly on fire at the moment! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also been indulging in ice cream too, courtesy of Mr Foubert's ice cream parlour. Yes, the green parakeets are all at my place, eating the plums and then pooping everywhere! Thanks for your comment about my blog - I think yours is fabulous, so it makes it feel an even greater compliment - thank you x

      Delete
  3. What a lovely cheerful post, congratulations on a wee baby boy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss your wonderful news. Congratulations. Oddly, you have kept popping into my mind recently and I miss reading you as often as I used to so will rectify that but life has got all hectic all of a sudden at my end.
    Such a glorious life - much to be happy about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Have popped over to your blog and see you have lots of change happening too. Good luck with it all!

      Delete
  5. A colourful R2BC! Fruit is perfect I heat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I eat way too much fruit, cherries are my fav too in the summer but anything from nectarines to apricots and kiwi and grapes, everything!! Purple spoon for me everytime! I have 1 plum on my plum twig! And the awful weather did away with my cherry & apple blossoms, so very little of those too! Lovely news about Pip's baby brother, hope the heat isn't too much for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always strike me as a healthy sort! Red grapes are my fave after cherries. I have them instead of pudding alot. I find they are a nice palette cleanser!

      Sorry to hear about your plum twig. Maybe I should send you some virtual plums! Purple spoon - good choice x

      Delete
  7. Awww congratulations on finding out that you're having another blue bundle! Sounds like you've got lots to be cheerful about at the moment. I loved your colourful spoons too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finding out that you are expecting a little boy! A lovely R2BC post. The fruit looks lovely as does your garden and a happy birthday to your Mr :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake is so adorable!!!! Love the stars!!! My hydrangea isn't blooming anymore because we're in a moderate drought. Even though I water it evening and morning :(

    They were beautiful purple and blue blooms. I LOVE that shade of pink of the ones you photographed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - decorating it was difficult with a 3 year old helper!

      Delete
  10. I love hydrangeas too! They are prolific where we live. Love your cake, too, you definitely have a talent there. And those teaspoons? One for every morning coffee of the week (with a choice of which one to repeat on Sundays). Great, cheerful post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post - that sounded like a great week - the sun makes such a difference doesn't it? We have hydrangeas too although one bush is rather eaten by chickens and the other weirdly has one blue flower in the middle of all the pink! V jealous of your plums - we have none on our little tree :( and I love all the teaspoons!

    ReplyDelete