Pages

Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Things I'd forgotten about early pregnancy...

This week I hit the 15 week marker.  According to the email I received from Bounty this weekend, I should be feeling a bit of ‘bloom’ by now. But like the suddenly disappearing sunshine, replaced with drizzle and rain, I feel a little ‘under the weather.’  Of course, the elation and joy of the pregnancy is still there, but physically, I feel pretty rough. Even formulating sentences as I type this this feels like an effort for my hazy head.  It’s three and a half years or so since I was pregnant with Pip, and I’m wondering if, over time, I romanticised his pregnancy, haloing it with a rose tinted glow. Perhaps I felt like this then, and I’ve just forgotten the realities of how I felt.  Maybe it’s because I’m older, I’m feeling the effects of this pregnancy more. Maybe I have also developed early onset amnesia, because it seems as though I’m doing this for the first time again; there is so much I’d forgotten about being pregnant.  Things such as:

Time goes incredibly slowly.  Every day of those first twelve weeks drags on as though it is a year. That 12 week watershed feels as if it will never come.  You can’t wait until you get past the 12 week milestone; have that all important scan and see your baby bouncing around.  But once you have, the worry still doesn’t seem to go away completely.  Little nagging voices still appear in your head... what about the Downs syndrome results - they seem to be taking a long time? Did you take the folic acid long enough before getting pregnant? What was that sharp pain you just felt near your bellybutton? Those cramping pains..are they normal? Should you have just eaten that feta? Is it pasteurised or not? And you start to wonder, will I ever relax?

Morning sickness is a misnomer.  In my case late afternoon is when I always hit the dredge zone.  Eating seems to be my only way out of it. I have munched my way through more carbs in the last few weeks than I care to remember.  Thankfully, the frequency of sickness seems to be waning now, and the recent warm weather has allowed me to compensate for my carb loading with some delicious, healthy salads and fresh fruit.

The excruciating tiredness of early pregnancy. Factor in running around after a young energetic boy all day, who also considers you a human trampoline, and that makes things even more exhausting.  I pray for him to resurrect his lunchtime nap, because then, perhaps I could just sneak off for forty winks too.  Sadly, my Duracell bunny of a son doesn’t seem to favour this option, so instead, we both sit after lunch staring into space on the sofa, he at ‘Curious George’ on the TV and me, in some hypnotic state of extreme fatigue.

The constant need to go to the toilet.  This seems to hit me most when I slide into bed at night, exhausted and ready to sleep.  My body then seems to think it’s highly amusing to make me get up at least twice in the night to go the the loo.  The days aren’t much better either, I can barely take a walk around the local high road without needing a loo stop.  Thank goodness for the high density of coffee shops (and the improved quality of decaf coffee since I was last pregnant.)  As I understand it, the pressure on my bladder should let up a bit in the next week or so, as everything ‘moves up’; I might even be able to venture further than a few hundred yards from civilisation without fear of being caught short.

It’s always the same foods that I can’t bear to eat.  Things I’d normally enjoy, I just can’t stomach. Namely, salmon and camommile tea. Bleurgh.  However, I have developed a great liking for tomatoes. Any which way really, but I’m finding a sprinkling of white pepper makes them taste even more delicious than normal. 

The clothes dilemma at the start of the second trimester.  Normal trousers are too tight, and tops are starting to not cover the bump.  But, there’s a gap between growing out of these clothes and fitting into smock like maternity wear or trousers with huge bump bands.  Finding clothes for this stage seems to be tricky.  There is one major upside though. Hello Breasts! Finally, I have some again.

The question on everyone’s lips. Once you announce your pregnancy, the first thing that 98% of people ask once they’ve heartily congratulated you is; "Are you going to find out the sex?".  I have lost count of the many times we’ve been asked this over the past two weeks - but I’ll estimate at least fifty (and that’s excluding my mother who asks me every single time we speak on the phone.)  The answer is, we haven’t decided yet.

So, yes, some things that I’d forgotten. (But obviously, now they’re written down, won’t forget again.) And just to be clear, this blog post is not a moan, I wanted this pregnancy more than anything, and even the less pleasurable bits, I’m determined to see as all part of the wonderful experience, it’s just I’d rather they were slightly less persistent in their frequency and fervour. Ah well, can’t have your cake and eat it...(unless you’re pregnant..in which case, maybe you can?)

As I make my way through the second trimester what other forgotten about joys do I have to look forward to?

21 comments:

  1. Haha, the second trimester is lovely. You have a bump so people do not just think 'woah, chunky monkey!'. You have the energy back most importantly so you actually start to care about what you look like again. Also, maternity clothes have come on leaps and bounds - and with the energy back you have a legitimate reason to shop. You also get the urge to start 'preparing' because you lose the energy to do so in the third trimester, when you are caring around your own heating system. I love the second trimester. I can't think of anything rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a big benefit of the arrival of a proper bump is the disappearance of the 'who ate all the pies look'! I do hope the energy returns soon.x

      Delete
  2. That was a walk down memory lane .... its no walk in the park is it? My sickness stopped around week 15. The exhaustion though - unbelievable in the first 12 weeks - hats off to you for coping so well with your three and a half year old Duracell battery - that made me smile. You can get these belts that allow you to wear your old trousers and skirts through the second trimester and beyond. Saved me a fortune in new trousers. Due end of November? ... you mentioned 29th I think .... thats very close to my birthday! XXX Hope you are getting your energy levels back again. I totally went off brocilli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I had one of those belts last time, I'll look them up. Thanks. November is obviously a good month for a birthday. x

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, the tiredness, the loss of a fully functioning brain and extreme puking ... it's like it was only yesterday. But you're approaching the second trimester feel like a rock star phase so hopefully things are now on the up ... for a short while anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FFHM, yes, really hoping for that rock star feeling soon.

      Delete
  4. I could have written almost every word of this! I seem to want to eat tomatoes all the time at the moment too! Sounds like our sons would get on like a house on fire! Hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the tomatoes is a warm weather thing?

      Delete
  5. I think we do forget, but then isn't it great to be reminded again! The fact that you feel rubbish is a good sign. I totally went off salmon too, and normally I love it. It'll all pass so quickly, I'm sure these things won't bother you for too long. Keep smiling! Polly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is great to be reminded. Interesting I'm not alone on the salmon thing. x

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, so true. I'd forgotten loads of stuff too, like the annoying questions people ask all the time and how you become public property as soon as you've got a big belly. Saying that, I'd also forgotten how nice it makes my hair and how nice it is to have an excuse to take life a bit easier! I think I've also forgotten the joys of labour - ignorance is bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice hair...yes I'm hoping for that this time too. As for the joys of labour..I think they're meant to be forgotten!

      Delete
  7. I haven't forgotten anything LOL, I hate surprises so I found out the sex of both of mine in advance, not that I'm asking you of course :)) My first time I was tiny in the bump dept. but the second I really popped out! I used those extenders thingy's for my jeans but mostly I was in the dreaded leggings! How have you managed to wait so long for a scan, I couldn't wait so went to the EPU at 6 weeks (mostly because I didn't really believe the pee stick!) -our maternity hospital is superb here you get a sea view whilst giving birth!!
    Time does seem to go slow doesn't it, for me it was incredibly slow from the 20 week scan (where I found out she was a she) to around 34 weeks then the last 5 weeks seemed to go by in a flash. Hope you feel better soon, all in a good cause x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have an earlier scan privately, but pre - Pip I had a late miscarriage, so even though we'd seen an early scan, I couldn't relax before the we week one. Now it seems an age to wait until the next one at 20!

      You must have good legs MLM, my thighs are far too wobbly to be able to get away with leggings! x

      Delete
  8. Oh I so know where you are coming from! Think I wrote a very similar blog post, I definitely remember B's pregnancy through rose tinted glasses because this has been the hardest 16 weeks ever!! I think that because you start counting the weeks as days it drags so so much more!! Lovely to see we are so close with due dates, I definitely keep heading back to hear how you are getting on! Good luck for your 16 week check x (we can help each other out on the decision on colour finding out!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, decisions decisions on whether to take a sneak peak beforehand or not... I still can't decide. x

      Delete
  9. Yes, yes! All of the above more or less, although this time around I'm all out front so very little of my 'normal' clothes fit now and I'm already in maternity wear. I'm trying not to be too mumsy though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on trying not to look too mumsy. I still want to look like 'me' even though I'm pregnant. Sometimes I look at the maternity clothes for the later trimesters and think *gulp* 'Am I really going to be that large?"!!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! I'm 15 weeks pregnant and the sickness has left me a bit of a weary husk, so somehow I managed to miss you fantastic news.
    Our son is almost 4 years old, so I've forgotten so much of this early pregnancy stuff. Reading this post was like you had read my mind - the all day sickness, the ridiculous tiredness, the clothing dilemma and even the constant 'are you going to find out the gender' question. It'll be great to follow along your pregnancy and compare notes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over Katie. Congrats to you too, and looking forward to comparing notes!

      Delete
  11. Till the last min. I think early pregnancy is pregnancy at therir young age. Now i cleraly know about what is early preganancy? thanks...

    ReplyDelete