Pages

Thursday, 21 June 2012

Beautiful Bloggers

The lovely Polly at Caught Writing awarded me the beautiful bloggers award this week.  She nominated me for my ‘beautiful, lyrical pieces about my observations on life.’  What a super compliment. It really did make my day.  Thank you Polly.
 
 
The rules of the award are that if you accept it, you post it on your site, choose 6 people to pass it on to, and then share ten facts about yourself that others may not know.  I’ve completed a similar ‘ten facts you didn’t know about me’ in the past, and so have found the challenge of this award even more tricky,  as I’ve been scanning my brain for a further ten things.  I can’t promise they’ll be the most fascinating facts in the world, but if only for the reason that I wanted to spread a bit of blog love and share the links to some super blogs, I decided to take part.  Do take a look, they’re all great reads.

My nominees are:

Lynsey the Motherduck - An inspiring parenting blog about life with a special needs child and a toddler, and lots more too.  The amount the Motherduck packs into life is nothing short of amazing.

Postcards from Pramstead - Honest, straightforward and thought provoking posts on parenting in the leafy London suburb of Hampstead. With a few celebrity spots thrown in for a good measure.

Multi-Layer Mummy - A positive and uplifting blog from a mum experiencing parenthood for the second time. Features some very interesting observations on health and nutrition and also some great baking.

3 Children and It - a newly discovered blog and one I’m really enjoying reading.  Suzanne writes honestly and eloquently about her busy life with three children. I’ve particularly enjoyed her posts on attending parent craft classes, and her honest appraisal of how employing some of the suggested techniques at home has worked.

Three years and Home - Expat tales of parenting in Switzerland plus a whole lot more.  I love Rachel’s passion for enjoying hot beverages from quality china, and enjoy the sneaky peaks I get of her crockery collection.  She’s also a woman after my own heart as there’s usually an accompanying photo of some delicious cake too.

Making it as Mum - A parenting blog with an interiors twist. Catherine is an interior designer currently renovating a new home and shows you how creating a great place to live can be done on a budget.

And if you’ve read this far...here are 10 fascinating facts about me:

1) I genuinely believe that there are times in life when a cup of tea can make the world seem a better place.  In times of angst or stress, one of the first things I do is put the kettle on.  A good cup of tea clears my mind.  If times are really tough, I add a spoonful of sugar (This is reserved for emergency situations only, but I’m sure the added sweetness does help in some way.)
 
Teapots not always necessary...
 
2) It took me five attempts to pass my driving test (and cost me a lot of money in lessons.) I don’t know why it took so many attempts.  Ironically, I’d actually describe myself as a ‘good driver’.

3) I do love getting dressed up.  Day to day I’m a jeans wearing mamma, but should we be invited to a wedding or the races, I really enjoy planning my outfit and injecting a little bit of glamour. I like the tradition and formality of the dress code for such occasions - to me it makes the day even more special.   (I’m off to Royal Ascot tomorrow and I am so looking forward to wearing my Kate Middleton-esque hat!)

4) I am a cup half full, sunny side up person.  I always look for the positives.  I believe that the human spirit is essentially one of resilience.

5) I really do call Little Pip ‘Pip’ in real life.  (Although that’s not actually his registered name.)

6) I’m a hoarder.  Especially when it comes to clothes.  I cannot throw away clothes that I’ve worn to sentimental occasions. I’ve still got my going away outfit and the dress I wore to Pip’s christening, and I think I’ll have them forever. This means I usually fare badly when I lament ‘I’ve got nothing to wear’ because I do literally have a wardrobe full of clothes (it’s just some of them are just very old.)

7) I would love to own my own business one day.  What it would be I don’t know, but I’d love the satisfaction of building it from scratch and..being my own boss.

8) I used to be very superstitious but I am now far less so. The one superstition I can’t give up concerns Magpies.  I salute and say ‘Hello Mr Magpie, how are your wife and children?’ every time I see one.  Worse still, I’ve noticed Pip has started doing it too.  His version is different though; ‘Hello Mr Magpie, how are you today?’.  You can count on a 3 year old to keep it short and to the point.

9) My favourite meal of the year is Christmas dinner cooked by my mum.  She has turkey and trimmings down to a fine art.  I always feel sad when it’s over.  To me, it’s magic on a plate.

10) I have a fixation with collecting pretty notepads.  I’ve got so many that I’ve not yet used that I really need to stop buying them.  My mum and my husband also buy them for me, and the collection is now getting out of control..how many unused notepads does a woman need?

At least it's easy to buy me a present...

15 comments:

  1. Now that was a very interesting 10 facts .... I'm going to have to use your's and Polly's to come up for some inspiration for mine. I love how Polly descibed your writing - absolutely spot on! I salute magpies too! Tea I love! Getting dressed for weddings makes me feel very glamourous too, and I love the array of notebooks. Have a fab time at Ascot! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Older Mum. Looking forward to reading yours. x

      Delete
  2. I love your tea sets and your notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There is something very proper and grown up about having a tea seat I find. The spotty one is for my cheerful days!

      Delete
  3. Ahhh thankyou for nominating me as a beautiful blogger that has really cheered me up while feeling poorly. I love your list i am sure we are secretly twins even down to the pretty notebook fixation. I always talk to Mr magpie....... hello Mr magpie your girlfriends round the corner, little E has also picked this up and looks for her bless.
    I will pick up the baton soon as i can xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. How funny that your boy has picked up the magpie thing too - we mothers are responsible for more than we realise..!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your facts! It's nice being able to get to know people!! Also right there with you on the collection of pretty notepads. It is most definitely my guilty secret purchase when I am out, I see one and think oooooh thats so pretty I need that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Every woman needs nice notepads. I'm just not sure I need quite as many as I've got right now. :0)

      Delete
  5. A well deserved Award - you're always interesting and I'm with you on the notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for nominating me! That's very kind of you. My bookcases are also full of empty pretty notebooks, and I say 'Good morning, my Lord' when I see a magpie (but only in my head, thankfully). I also agree entirely about the restorative properties of a cup of tea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure. No pressure to complete. I know you'll have your hands full very soon. Yes, maybe saying the magpie mantra in my head would be a better option!

      Delete
  7. I love your pretty notebooks and jolly tea cups and tea pots. Well done for persevering with the driving tests. I'm sure you are an excellent driver, because of all the practice you have had! Hope you enjoyed Ascot. I went a few years ago and loved it. Polly x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Mummy Plum, I have the same "fixation" (I will use that word from now on instead of obsession!) for notebooks, always buying them & just started using some of them. I have a fixation for tea too, my day would not be the same without builders tea to start, then green or earl grey or some lovely blend of fruits! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another notebook fan. I think I might have to a start notebook addicts club! Or, maybe open a teashop that also sells a good cuppa, a great cake and the most amazing range of notebooks! x

      Delete