Pages

Thursday, 17 May 2012

Reasons to be Cheerful

It’s that time of the week when cheery souls link up together, celebrate the good in their lives and their reasons to be cheerful.

Here are my Reasons to be Cheerful this week:

On Monday, we celebrated a special anniversary.  Monday marked the day I’d been with  my husband half my life.  (I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry!)  The actual date wasn’t that easy to work out, but as husband is a whizz with spreadsheets he pinpointed the day exactly.  We made the rare effort of getting a babysitter, went out for dinner and laughed about the fact we’ve now been together so long, we’ve forgotten half the stuff that happened at the start. (Age, tiredness, too much wine...).  Reflecting on it all, (or the bits I can remember) the journey so far has been pretty good.  Who’d have thought one drunken chat up line in a bar all those years ago would have lead us to where we are today?

Husband’s work has been manic in the last few weeks. He’s been working some incredibly long days and it’s really taken it’s toll on all of us. Everyone is tired, and Pip has really missed spending time with his Daddy.  On the upside though, the end is in sight, and even better, as a result of all his efforts, he’s been given a new job; one he really wanted. 

We received some positive news on the schools front this week.  We went to visit the school we are considering for Pip, and there seems a good chance that he will get a place. I felt very proud when the head of the lower school commented on what a well mannered boy he was.  He was very polite and well behaved. I just wish he hadn’t got the headteacher’s name wrong. Pip seemed to think he was called ‘Mr Pecker’ which led to me bursting into a fit of rather childish giggles that I then couldn’t stifle.  Thinking about it has bought a smile to my face ever since.

My parents are coming to stay today for a few days. Mum texted to say she was bringing a homemade lasagne for dinner.  She knows it’s been a tough couple of weeks, so it’s wonderful not to have to think about cooking tonight.  I’m really looking forward to seeing them, and having some help with Pip.  My Dad is great at playing with him and doing lots of arts and crafts activities.   When I was little, he worked very hard, and was away a lot, so  he didn’t really do these things with me.  I’m so glad that now he’s retired he has the time and wants to do these things with Pip.  They both enjoy it so much and it brings a real sense of happiness to me, just watching them together. 

For more fantastic Reasons to be Cheerful head over to Mummy from the Heart.


Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart

20 comments:

  1. I feel you on a hard working hubby. The long hours take such a toll on my son as well. He nearly gets emotional (did in fact yesterday) when his daddy finally came in. He even gets a later bedtime these days just SO he can be sure to have a little time with his father before bedtime.

    But when you DO get that weekend or early evening or family holiday/vacation you really do appreciate them so much more don't you?

    That's the silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, yes, I agree, those weekends / holidays/ special moments make it all worth while. My boy hero worships his Dad and it's so wonderful to see.

      Delete
  2. And I got a chuckle over your husband figuring out that special milestone in your relationship! I think that is so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long hours and our lives documented on spreadsheets - we might have the same husband. I've also known my husband for longer than I haven't known him. Makes me feel happy but also a little old. Congratulations on your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I hate spreadsheets, but husband has proved that they do have their uses. Do you find people are surprised when they realise how long you and your husband have been together? I find in this day and age, people often think we are quite 'unusual'.

      Delete
    2. Completely. I think they also feel sorry for me when I say that we met at school as it suggests that we've had quite a sheltered life. I have to explain that while we met at 16 we were firm friends for 10 years before we got together so we have experienced a little bit of life. I like our shared history though.

      Delete
  4. YAY on your special anniversary and making it special. I'm glad your hubby has a new job and I hope the sacrifices are worth it. Well done to Pip on doing so well at the new school, I hope he gets in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, yes, fingers crossed for the schools thing. I hope he gets in too then there will be one less thing to stress about!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a very special week all round. Congrats on your special anniversary. Polly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cool, happy half life anniversary!
    I hope you have a wonderful time with your parents, enjoy the lasagne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Homecooked meals you don't make yourself are the best.

      Delete
  7. Lovely post ... you and your husband have been together a while then? Mr Pecker! That made me laugh ... how sweet. Fingers crossed her gets a place. Have a lovely time with your parents - its always nice and comforting having food made for you! X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Mr Pecker really made me laugh too. The fact that the other teacher in the room was not laughing (or was at least trying to remain professional) just made me worse...

      Delete
  8. I think that people commenting on the manners & behaviour of your child is one of the nicest feelings!
    Congrats on your special anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's so rewarding when someone compliments your child's behaviour. I rarely give myself a parenting pat on the back so it's lovely when someone else does it for me.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic reasons to be cheerful!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Pecker lol! Treasure the times with your parents, how lovely that your Mum is making dinner for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mummy Plum that is an amazing anniversary! 2012 is certainly a year for big milestones, for people personally and as a nation! I hope you had a couple of wonderful family days with your parents visit - how was the lasagne? Making me pine for one!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh my, I am pretty much in the same boat, but have never thought about it! Happy belated anniversary.

    Mich x

    ReplyDelete