Pages

Friday, 11 May 2012

Reasons to be Cheerful

This week has been rather a gruelling one.  Husband has been working 18 hours a day in crisis mode, Pip has been invading the bed regularly in the middle of the night, we’ve spent most days getting wet in rainstorms and generally I have felt a bit exhausted.  But the weekend is nearly upon us and the sun is now shining,  so I thought I'd round the week off on a positive note, and  join up with Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart.

Despite the rain, the garden looks fabulous.  It’s become a lush, green urban jungle, and the branches of the trees and shrubs are laden with blooms. (Albeit some of them are slightly bowed over with the weight of all the rain.)   The plum tree is looking great this spring, and I’m hopeful we’ll have lots of fruit again this year with which to make condiments for Christmas. (Plum Ketchup was last summer’s winner so I’m going to repeat that, and maybe also try my hand at some plum brandy too.)  Last year I said I would try to learn how to design ‘professional’ labels for the jars and I’ve recently reminded myself of that and feel energised to get on with it (although am currently clueless as to how!)

A family friend rang this week with details of two new vocational courses that are starting which are similar to the previous course I was on that went into liquidation.  She’s ‘in the business’ so it was really kind of her to think of me and get in touch. One looks particularly interesting in terms of the level of time commitment required each week and the way the learning is structured.  It’s not something I can commit to in the short term, but it feels great to know that this may be an option on the medium term horizon. 

We’ve just booked a last minute holiday for this summer, to go away with our friends and our god-daughters. Previously, we’d decided it was too expensive, but the sudden promise of a  ‘late booking discount’ meant it was more affordable so we decided to go for it.  I can’t wait to hit sunnier climbs for some guaranteed sunshine and I’ve ordered Pip a super new sun suit to wear on the beach.  My little man is going to look so cool.

In the past couple of weeks we have lunched at restaurants for birthday occasions with family and friends. Pip has been such a well behaved, well mannered boy, I’ve been really proud of him.  My husband’s aunt told me countless times last weekend that he was a credit to me.  Three years of sounding like a broken record on the please/ thank you/ ask to leave the table front are finally paying off.

After an extended period of absence away from the hairdressers I’ve finally had my haircut.  It looks much better than it did before and it’s great to have a little bit more shape to it once again. (Just need to sort out covering the grey next..)

On Sunday I am spending the day with an old flatmate in town.  We’re going to have lunch, visit an exhibition and go shopping.  I’m really looking forward to a child free, grown up day. 

So actually, lots of reasons to be cheerful. Now head on over to Mummy from the Heart to read more.


Reasons to be Cheerful at Mummy from the Heart

18 comments:

  1. A childfree grown up day - those are PRECIOUS indeed!!! So glad for you!!! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-ha the plum tree, of course, that is why you are Mummy Plum! Home made plum brandy sounds yum, but ketchup? Now that sounds interesting! Sounds like you have had a good week overall. Your husband is working very, very hard isnt he? Sounds like mine. Good news about the courses and last minute holiday. I too have been drilling please and thank you into Little A. I remember my parents did with me when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plum Ketchup is delicious! Good to know I'm not the only mother feeling home alone this week. It's hard isn't it? Some nights I'd love for someone else to do the bath/bed and cook the dinner. Alas, the plight of the SAHM!

      Delete
  3. I like your cheerful list.

    I still have to remind my Small Sprog (now not so small) with his P's and Q's but I have been told he does it perfectly when I'm not there and that's all I can ask for I guess :)

    Thanks for visiting me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for popping back over.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have been super busy. Fab news booking your holiday. Have a great weekend. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't felt like it had been super busy, but reflecting on it now, it looks like it has!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely productive week! A child-free day - heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is heaven. I feel slightly guilty, but the desire to go trumps the guilt!

      Delete
  6. I love the sound of plum jam but my fav is the chutney my ex FIL used to make it every year after gathering his 7 children, us spouses and all the grandkids to pick the plums for him...wonderful memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like a great memory. We do something similar making Christmas puddings.

      Delete
  7. lovely upbeat post, cheered me up too! Love the sound of Plum Ketchup, I have a baby plum tree still in its pot, she gives up about 4 plums a year so far! I do have 2 great cherry trees & 4 apples trees and always looking for inspiration to use up the tonnes of apples! Great news about a possible course, not sure what you are studying, hope it works out for you.
    Enjoy your day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you've got alot of fruit trees. I'd love to make cherry jam - soft set, I think that would be delicious.
      We've got three old gnarly apple trees but they don't give much fruit. Enough for a couple of crumbles but that's about it. x

      Delete
  8. Nothing like a good hair cut to get you feeling fab....lovely reasons to be cheerful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. Yes, nothing like a haircut to add some va va voom to life,

      Delete
  9. Sounds like some lovely things happening for you this week. I have to admit I like it when the little man makes his way into our bed. It happens so rarely these days, it's a real treat for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only it happened so infrequently in our house that it was a treat! I feel the complete opposite. It would be a treat to have the bed to myself for just one night.

      Delete