Pages

Friday, 25 May 2012

A Picture Postcard : The Arctic Circle

Dog sledding in the Arctic Circle. 2005.
Over the course of three days we lost ourselves in the wintery magic of the Arctic circle.  Just us, the huskies, our sleds and the snow, we spent our days travelling through pine strewn forests, sometimes hurtling at speed; when the dogs had just fed, sometimes gliding more slowly, as they tired towards the end of the day.   At dusk we stopped at wilderness lodges for the night, and ate hungrily by candlelight, sating the huge appetites created by all the fresh air. Then we slept peacefully in rough hewn bunks made from the wood from the surrounding trees, until our canine friends awoke us with their hungry howls at dawn.

One evening, we made our way out across a frozen lake, and witnessed nature’s wonder, the aurora borealis, swirling in hues of alien green across the dark night sky. It were as if the heavens were playing us a silent tune. Afterwards, we ate reindeer meatballs and smash, cooked on a small outdoor stove, still in awe of the spectacular show we’d seen; as if it had been orchestrated just for us.

This was one of the best holidays I’ve ever had.  We built igloos, fished in frozen lakes, and stayed in the Ice Hotel for the night.  But by far the best part, was our three days in the wilderness sledging with the huskies.  It was an exhilarating, breathtaking experience, I look back and feel so glad I had the sense of adventure and the opportunity to do it.

I’m linking this post up to The Gallery at Sticky Fingers.  This weeks theme is ‘A Picture Postcard’.

11 comments:

  1. Now THAT sounded incredible. What a fantastic holiday .... what an adventure. The aurora borealis is something I've always wanted to see. I really wished I'd joined in this meme this week .... alas I didn't have the time. Beautifully written by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, was a bit of a challenge for me to try and squeeze this one in this week, but glad I did as it was lovely to think back and remember. It seems a long time ago now, that's what I love about blogging / meme prompts, sometimes they jog your memory back to times you otherwise might not have thought about. And as you know, I don't need many excuses to take a trip down memory lane...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful writing and such gorgeous 'orchestrated' memories. Have been too lax subscribing to your blog, but putting that right immediately X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anya, that's such a lovely comment. x

      Delete
  4. I love this post. It really had me visualisation vividly - an attribute to fantastic writing abilities! I looked into doing a charity trek sledding (briefly) and it did seem very appealing (until I learnt you had to poo in the ground...) lol. I am not a cold weather lover, by any means, but I have always had a bit of a hankering to do a night in a ice hotel. The closet I have come so far is going to the Vodka Ice Bar in London!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went for a night at the Ice hotel at the end of the trip. Fab. They give you special suits to wear in case you get cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great holiday! I went skiddoo-ing in Iceland once but three days with huskies sounds very special. I heard about the special suits at the Ice Hotel. A friend went and she said she was too hot if she had both her socks on. Taking one off made her the perfect temperature and it was one of the best night's sleep she's ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to say it was a good nights sleep. Wouldn't want to have to sleep there every night though.

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a dream! I have this weird attraction to arctic regions. A fascination. It's on my bucket list to do what you've done.

    Just random - have you ever watched "Northern Exposure" - a tv show from the 80s and I think it spilled into the 90s as well before it was through. I LOVED that show. I think that fueled a lot of my fascination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've heard of Northern Exposure but haven't watched it. I'll have to look it up, see if it's on You Tube!

      Delete