Pages

Wednesday, 18 April 2012

A Spring In My Step

I approached the start of this year with some trepidation. Wary, I looked over my shoulder in those dark winter months, suspicious that Jack Frost would surprise me with his stealth,  place his long wintery fingers around my heart, and seize me as he had the year before. Thankfully, he never came.  The odd shadow lingered, but I staved off the wintery blues and made it through to the warmth of spring.

Despite my aversion to the winter months at the start of the year, I love the seasonality of British weather.  Life in a constant climate would not be for me. I enjoy the russet reds, ochres and ambers of woody autumn, blowing and blustering us into watery winter; grey and white, with it's icy blasts causing us to hibernate away and eat warming comfort food.  I love the gentle thaw of spring, the growth of new buds, the celebration of new life, and the way it passes through to a fiery pinnacle of hot summer sun.

Of all the seasons, Spring is the one I like the best.  I find it energising and invigorating. I come over all Zebedee like.  In the past couple of weeks, I’ve possessed a renewed energy, it’s swept upon me, like a morning dawn, warmed me up and got me moving.

Since then, I’ve been scrubbing and cleaning with a zeal I didn’t know I had. Sticky fingerprints unnoticed in the months of limited northern winter light have been removed with purpose from walls and paintwork. Clutter has been cleared out.  Books are now standing to attention on shelves, and toy cupboards have been reorganised and tidied.   I’ve also found that my palette has been awakened too.  I’ve blown the dust from the recipe books and have found myself with an appetite for new culinary dishes and a desire to widen the family meals repertoire.  Even the garden has not escaped my new found enthusiasm.  The bald patch left from the eviction of an overgrown bush has been laid with turf. Bright green grass, as vivid as if the blades had been coloured with felt tip pen, makes me feel cheerful every time I look out of the kitchen window.  Pots of newly planted pink, orange and purple pansies flutter gently in the breeze, and Pip’s planter of strawberries fills me with hope of fruitful things to come.

Quite by surprise, I’ve found myself with a spring in my step.  To celebrate, I’ve ordered myself some lovely new shoes.  Ruby red, glittery shoes, rather like Dorothy’s slippers in the Wizard of Oz.   A little bit bling? Possibly, but fancy feet appeal to me right now.  Hopefully they’ll keep me heel clicking through spring all the way along the road towards summer.

I’m linking this post up to #groovymums, a supportive network to help women make positive changes in their life, large or small. Visit Kate on Thin Ice for more information.

10 comments:

  1. I love spring too, although there is precious little sign of it at the moment - it's more like November around here! Would love to see a photo of your red shoes when you get them, they sound fabulous. Polly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, since I wrote this post.. it hasn't stopped raining!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to hear that you have a re-newed vigour that only spring can bring! Reading upbeat posts like this are extra inspirational! I NEED to know where you got the shoes, my parents Ruby Wedding Anniversary Party is coming up and the theme is RED! Everyone has to be in Red, Ruby Slippers would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I'm going to fess up, the shoes are from Marc Jacobs (which I feel terribly guilty about) but, I'm using my winnings from the Grand National to buy them. *Justifies to self*. (Please note,this is not normal behaviour I normally buy all my shoes from either Dune or House of Fraser!) Mine are flat but if you want fun glittery heels for the party at a reasonable price just look on ebay. They've got loads! Ebay is my go to place for fancy dress and fripperies and reasonable prices!

      Delete
  3. you sound very organised, I laid turf last week before the rains came, very pleased with myself, love the sound of the strawberry planter, maybe next year. Ruby slippers sound great, definitely a wardrobe staple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being honest, it would be cheaper to buy strawberries from the supermarket (to eat). But, I thought Pip would enjoy watering them. And eating them might be far more fun if he'd grown them himself.

      Delete
  4. That was great zesty read especially as I am about to march off to the Westfield centre and buy some new clothes. I love Spring too, especially May, and like you I love the rich green colour of new grass and leaves. Those red shoes you've ordered sound very fab indeed. Oh ... you have really inspired me! Love the fact that overgrown bush has been evicted ..... I can just hear Davins voice now .... overgrown Bush, you have been evicted .... please leave the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I do hope your shopping trip was successful. You made me smile with your comment about the bush, because it really was rather like that!

      Delete
  5. I'm lost with the seasons here, opposite to the uk.summer temps mid 30s in day and low 20s at night. In winter mid 20s in day and can drop below freezing at night. Fortunately winter only lasts for june and july with no rain and spring occurs for one day only on september 1st.
    We are approaching the end of autumn and the seeds I planted in sept (spring time) have burst into life over the last few weeks, no wonder I'm finding this all confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound confusing! It must take a little bit of time to get your head round it, especially if you're used to planting in British seasons.

      Delete