Pages

Monday, 12 March 2012

Listography - Top 5 Cookbooks

Over the years I've spent many happy hours working my way through my collection of cookery books; there's no doubt I'm rather partial to a little gastronomic escapism.  So, as the subject of the Listography at Kate Takes 5 this week is Top 5 cook books, it seemed a great opportunity to take a browse down recipe lane.  These are my favourite tried and tested cookbooks of all time:

1. Ottolenghi - The Cookbook

I love the shop. I love the cookbook. Fresh, seasonal ingredients simply cooked.  This is my 'go to' cookbook if I'm cooking for guests.   Lots of favourites in here, but the recipe for chargrilled broccoli with chilli and garlic is something else.  There's also a great gluten free chocolate fudge cake too. Delicious.

2. Jamie Oliver - Happy Days with the Naked Chef


I'm a big Jamie fan, but this one of his books gets used the most.  His suggestion for cooking chilli con carne in the oven is fab too.

3. The Good Housekeeping Bible

This was one of the first cookbooks I ever bought. These days it's looking rather tatty. It's my bible, the book I turn to when I need to make a sauce or a preserve or condiment - or just find a 'classic' recipe - I know they'll all be in it.

4. Marcus Wareing - How to cook the perfect...


I like this book for it's 'Tips for Perfection' section on every recipe.  This book covers everything from the perfect roast beef and trimmings to baking the best chocolate brownies.  I've cooked a number of the baking recipes in here and they're all fab. It was this book that taught me how to make a great vanilla panacotta. (Even if I say so myself.)

5. Delia Smith - Soup

For some slightly more inspired soup options, I like this book.  The black bean soup is my favourite - wholesome and hearty; a meal in a bowl.

So that's my top 5 cook books. What are your favourites?

20 comments:

  1. Great choices! We have a couple of Ottolenghi cookbooks on the shelf - fab recipes and photos of the dishes. I am a BIG fan of Ottolenghi. I remember as a child we had a whole collection of Good Housekeeping manuals that just about squeezed onto the dresser(how 70's). So you make a mean panacotta - yum yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I worship at the foody altar of Ottolenghi. They are fab. I went on a one day cookery course ran by them once - amazing. Only thing is, I find you do have to read the 'method' very carefully before you start..otherwise you find you should have done stages 1 and 2 three hours earlier, and you're behind before you've even started!

      Delete
    2. Very cool you went on a one day cookery course by the Ottolenghi team.

      Delete
    3. Yes, am a lucky girl. It was a birthday present - it was at the Leith's school of cookery. They still do them - but I notice they've put the prices up considerably since I did it!

      Delete
  2. Really interesting list. Must give Ottolenghi another chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I did try and leave a comment on your list (twice) but for some reason I can't leave one :0(

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Ottolenghi, I'll definitely try and rectify that.

    Happy Days with the Naked Chef is about the only Jamie book I don't have, I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am with you on Jamie O, he is a legend.

      Delete
  4. This is such a dangerous Listography - so many more ideas for more cookery books - I could fill the house! I like the idea of the Marcus Wareing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dangerous! I noticed someone had the new Mary Berry one on their list and now I'm lusting after it!

      Delete
  5. Great list! I love the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and Verdura (Vegetables Italian Style). Also have Claudia Roden Arabesque which is full of delicious and delightful Middle Eastern recipes. Husband bought Jamie Oliver books to the marriage, so we have most of those! Polly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the Hummingbird but none of the others. I like the sound of Arabesque. I'll have to look that up. x

      Delete
  6. I have an old Good Housekeeping aswell. However I feel I['m missing something as I don't have any Jamie or Dehlia (or Nigella). Ottolenghi looks i nteresting. I've heard of him but not seen any of his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ottolenghi is owned by two friends, Sami and Yottam who grew up together in Jerusalem. This informs some of the flavours and ingredients used in their food. Not quite sure how they got from there to London - but they did!

      Delete
  7. What a great list. I'm a big Jamie fan and I do like Marcus Wareing on Great British Menu. Will need to look out for his book in the library!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a 'serious' cook book list...just the thought of trying to create anything by Marcus Wareing, scary...happy to eat anything by him though! Also love Ottolenghi style but never looked at their books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ottolenghi is new to me too but sounds very interesting. Love that Jamie Book too. It made my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I <3 Jamie. That is all! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi MP!

    I just messaged you on Britmums!

    L.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the look of the Good Housekeeping book. I'd imagine its a wealth of knowledge

    ReplyDelete