Pages

Thursday, 8 March 2012

#Art I Heart - Girl

Girl by Charlie Mackesy


It seems almost a lifetime ago that we bought this picture.  Young, newly married and carefree we found ourselves quite unexpectedly one evening, at a gallery in London’s west end.  I can remember that night so clearly.  We went along for the fun of it, for the free champagne.  It was all terribly proper. We didn’t expect for one minute to buy anything.  And then, there she was, right before us; ‘Girl’.

It was not the case that one of us liked her more than the other. We both instantly connected with her.  So, we bought her, on the spot.  We took her home and hung her on the living room wall.  A few days later my mother visited. ‘ Well, it’s you isn’t it?’ she said. The thought had never occurred to me, and when I asked my husband, he said it hadn’t occurred to him either.

Girl has hung on our wall now for seven years.  In that time, countless visitors and friends, old and new, have asked; ‘Is that you?’. Physically, I guess we are similar, and sometimes I wear my hair in a similar style. I can understand why people ask.  I always answer truthfully; ‘No, it’s not me.’

But sometimes, I feel that it is.  There have been times in my life when I have felt that Girl with her head in her hands, illustrated perfectly the sadness in my heart, and the aching of my soul.   Times when I looked at the picture on the wall and almost felt it was a mirror, and I was looking at my reflection. 

I love looking at Girl. I love the simplicity of her, and wondering about her; wondering what she is thinking and if indeed she has travelled the same path as me.   I feel we are one and the same.  She is me and I am her.  I feel certain that wherever I am in life, Girl will always be on my wall.
 
I'm joining this post up to Midlife Single Mum's Meme: Art I Heart.

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely story about how you both liked her, neither realizing the resemblance to you. I love it that you have formed a specual connection to her even though she's not really you and you don't know who she is. Maybe if you ever found out you'd find a real connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be interesting to know who the real 'girl' was. Thanks for reading and commenting :0)

      Delete
  2. That's a great photo you have taken. What a striking piece. I really like the fact that both you and your husband were equally drawn to Girl, and the way you so strongly identify with what she presents. I love the way that art can be something so continuous and constant in an ever changing world; like you say Girl will always be on your wall where ever you are in life. Lovely story. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes, I do think she will always be on the wall. Something quite reassuring about thinking that too.

      Delete
  3. She's beautiful. I can quite understand what drew you to her. I've never owned a piece of art; never felt that strong a connection to something. Lovely piece of writing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll find something special for your new house - keep your eye out. I think finding something you really love often just happens. If you go out looking for it you don't find it!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful picture. I bought a sketch like that from a street seller in a little norfolk town last year. I love it, it has special meaning to me but I can't explain why. Great picture, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Girl too, beautiful picture. I'm glad you bought it when you saw it. I found a picture I felt the same about once when I was a (mature) student about 15 years ago. I was on holiday in Ireland and it was a portrait of a smiley, cheery, grinning Irish chap, done in pencil, very simply. It was £500 and I was a student and couldn't afford it. I went back a few years afterwards to search for it, but of course it had gone. Lovely story. Polly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a similar situation once with a watercolour of an old woman attached to the railings at hyde park. Couldn't afford it, and then went back a year later and it was gone. I still wish I'd been able to buy it. I probably remember it being better than it actually was after all these years!

      Delete
  6. I love this piece of Art, and this post. They are both simple in beautiful but say so much so eloquently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love how you feel about this picture - "I feel we are one and the same. She is me and I am her." - and you have described how you feel so eloquently
    I have a painting that I feel very similarly about - perhaps I'll post it for art i heart one week...

    ReplyDelete