Pages

Thursday, 16 February 2012

A Little February Sunshine


A new meme, how lovely.  It’s nice to know someone, somewhere out there in the blogosphere has thought of me, so a big thank you to Postcards from Pramstead for sending this one my way.  Even better, the theme is ‘A little February sunshine.'   The idea is that I lift myself out of any cold, wintery doldrums by focussing on sharing my answers to some set questions on my favourite things.  Here we go...


Favourite Colour: Magical and Mystical, Fantastical, Ecclesiastical - I love purple.  Purple Liberty gift bags and boxes set my heart aflutter; praise be to the store that has made purple packaging its trademark.  I love cosying down on my sofa in winter with it's purple velvet scatter cushions, and I am rather partial to writing in purple pen too. Purple reminds me of my grandfather, he was a vicar and accessorised his dog collar with deep purple socks and a matching purple handkerchief. Quite snazzy he looked too.   It also reminds me of my mother, who aspires to be like the old woman in Jenny Joseph’s poem; 'Warning: When I am an old woman I shall wear purple.’ (She’s getting there.)

Favourite Animal:  I grew up in a house with cats, I love cats.  I think Pip would love a cat too, but given all the work that will be happening on our house in the near future it just doesn’t seem the right time.  So, I’ll say that my favourite animal ‘of the moment’ is the simple garden bird.  We’ve got a bird feeder outside and the quantity and variety of feathered friends that visit us never fails to amaze me.   One particular surprise is that lime green parakeets seem indigenous to these parts.  I believe that someone once let a flock of them escape from a film set at Ealing studios and once they took flight, they multiplied beyond belief.  Six is the most I’ve had on the birdfeeder at one time, quite a sight to behold, but I have seen my neighbour has had ten on his all at the same time.  Sounds ridiculous, but now I’m competing to get more visit mine.  Sometimes I wonder if the time has come for me to return to work, becoming competitive over the number of birds on ones birdfeeder can surely not be good for a woman. 
 
Favourite non-alcoholic drink:  I’m a tea and coffee lover, but I’m going to plump for tea, because I do find it more hydrating than coffee. For me, it always has to be a good cup of English Breakfast first thing, and then mid morning I may have a cup of coffee if I’m out and about and there’s a decent coffee shop in the vicinity. My tea brand of choice is Twinings English Breakfast.   I’m a big Camomile drinker too, a cup of Camomile, and I’m calm and swan like.  Really, I am. 
 
Facebook or Twitter:  I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook; I love it for Scrabble Gamehouse and hate it for just about everything else.  I’m fairly new to Twitter; I found it quite disconcerting at first, sending something out there into the Twitterverse and wondering if anyone would respond. But it seems sometimes people do, and so far, I’m quite enjoying the experience.   
 
Favourite Number: I’m with the lovely Postcards on this...my mum’s phone number.  Years and years of hearing it said when my Mum answered the phone makes it special. It’s the SOS number I’ve called my whole life - when the chips were down and I needed to hear my Mum's voice and be reminded of her unconditional love. It's etched upon my heart.
 
Favourite Day of the week:  Saturday.  I love hanging out with my husband and Pip on a Saturday. We often go out for lunch which I really enjoy.  The rest of the day is usually spent running errands or doing things focussed around our son, but I find just having an extra pair of hands around makes everything seem so much easier.  
 
My Passion: Some are constant; my husband, my boy, renovating our house, writing, reading, trying to retain some semblance of style (for myself). I love history too, so I love to visit museums, National Trust properties, Antiques shops.  I love modern style, but old things hold a magic for me that sometimes the new don't. 
 
Giving or Getting Presents:  Giving, every time.  I love choosing presents for people and taking the time to try and find something they’ll really love. 
 
Favourite Pattern: I haven’t got a particularly favourite pattern so I thought I’d share some images of some patterned wallpaper that I’m hankering after at the moment. I’m thinking of putting this on the wall behind the bed when our bedroom is redecorated.  And I absolutely love the second pattern.  I want to put this in my downstairs toilet. I think downstairs cloakrooms are a great place to go wild with a bit of zany pattern.


Source: houzz.com via Mummy on Pinterest

 
Favourite Flower:  Anemones. They are so delicate and remind me of my grandmother.  I like Lilies too, I love the smell, their big stems look great displayed in a simple vase, and they last for ages.

I’m now going to pass the baton to two great blogs I’ve discovered fairly recently:

Threeyearsandonestonethenhome
TheBabyWife

13 comments:

  1. Ooh fabulous, thank you! I will get this typed up for the weekend :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love this meme - saw it first over at fivegoblogging who generously invited anyone to join in - may well do that once half term is over. I rather like purple too - my last pair of winter boots were purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember seeing your purple boots - did you post them on your blog?

      Delete
  3. Really enjoyed reading this you purple loving chamomile drinking swan! Love the purple theme in your family and how your mum is slowly succumbing to the purpleness. Loving your grandads socks. Those same parakeets frequent my local park too - they are amazing and such an unusual sight in London! Feel like I found out alot more about you in this post. Echo Rollercoaster - this is a good meme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for reading and commenting. All hail the green parakeet!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for joining in - lovely to get to know a bit more about you. It's nice to find someone who shares my love of cats and a decent cup of tea. There's nothing worse than a bad cup (I am ridiculed at work for taking my own box of Yorkshire Gold in rather than drinking the free PG Tips). The wallpaper is gorgeous. Your house will look fab when it's done. I'm sure it will be worth all the hassle, even if it sometimes doesn't feel like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely identify with you taking your own box of tea to work. I was the same. My drawer was stuffed with my own teabags (and a fair few biscuits too.)

      Delete
  5. I just like everything you write - you've even made me like purple which I use to consider the worst of all the colours. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad I've converted you!

      Delete
  6. Lovely to learn more about you... I discovered you via The Baby Wife as she tagged me so I'm getting my thinking cap on to write mine! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. Will pop over and have a look at your blog now. x

      Delete
  7. I have read a few of your posts and thought we seem very simular i had to chuckle today the wall paper you like for the loo i have just put one like it in my bedroom. I will do a post when its finished lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will look forward to reading that. I actually prefer it in the black and white version but couldn't find a good picture of that. x

      Delete