Pages

Tuesday, 3 January 2012

The Highs and Lows of 2011

A round up of the 2011 seemed like a good idea. This post was inspired by Polly at Caught Writing who answered the following questions about her year.  I really enjoyed reading her answers so thought I'd also write some of my own.
 
1. What was your happiest event?
The year was filled with happy events. Special memories include a fabulous holiday to Greece with some good friends, an ‘old fashioned’ birthday party at home for Pip’s second birthday, a week away in Norfolk with my parents, and afternoon tea at The Lanesborough, to celebrate our wedding anniversary just before Christmas.  The afternoon tea was a wonderful way to finish the year, just the two of us; sipping champagne, drinking tea, eating lots of cake and chatting uninterrupted.  There is a sense of occasion and something innately British about afternoon tea, which I love. There was also a slightly tipsy girl in one corner singing along a little too loudly as the pianist played carols, much to my amusement.  It was fun watching everyone pretend not to look, or notice, when really, we were all looking and wondering which direction the caterwauling was coming from!

2. What was the saddest thing to happen? 
I had a miscarriage at the start of last year. The early promise of  Jan/Feb disappeared in March. I was sad. But, these things happen, and sometimes, despite what you wish for, there’s nothing you can do to prevent it. I am blessed in many ways, and I try to be thankful for what I do have in life rather than what I don’t.

3. What was the most unlikely thing to happen that actually went ahead? 
This blog was born and it’s still here!  I’m not known for my stickability. In fact, I’ve never kept a diary for more than a few months at a time before giving up. I wasn’t sure if I’d stick with my blog, but I have, and I’m still enjoying it. I’ve met some wonderful and inspiring new people, and it’s a great outlet for me to express myself too.
  
4. Who let you down? 
No one, I’m pleased to say.  If anything, I sometimes felt I let myself down, by having too high expectations of myself.

5. Who supported you?
My husband. My mum. My best friend.

6. Tell us one thing you learned
How to make Christmas pudding according to the old family recipe. I now need to water (with brandy) every 3 months during the course of this year, and change the muslin cloths, to keep it sterile. I’m not quite sure about getting that bit right, but hopefully it will be ok and we’ll all still be here next Boxing Day!

 7. Tell us one thing that made you laugh 
One man, Two Guvnors at the National Theatre starring James Corden. Slapstick comedy at its best.  I laughed till I cried.

8. Tell us one thing that made you cry 
I don't cry much, but if you refer to question 2, there were some tears shed then.

9. Tell us three things your child or children did to make you feel proud 
a)After a year of getting in the pool with my son, he finally started having swimming lessons on his own.  Swimming has been a real challenge for him, but I’m so glad we persevered. He’s really found his flippers now.
b)Mastering potty training with relative ease. 
c) I was very proud of my son this Christmas, he coped with all the visitors, present giving and chaos so well. He played with all his new toys beautifully, wasn’t a manic paper ripper, waited to be given each present from under the tree  (to my utter amazement) and didn’t have one single melt down.

10. Tell us one thing that made you proud of yourself.
Starting my blog and sticking with it. 

11. Tell us one challenge you overcame 
Fronting up to some awkward conversations with the neighbours over our plans for the redevelopment and extension of our house. (And managing to do it in such a way that I think they still like us.) 

12. Tell us three things you would like to change about your life in 2012 
I suffer from Bruxism. This year I need to find a way of managing it properly and prevent it getting any worse. 
I’d like to get fit.  I think the energy buzz that exercise gives you can be very beneficial, mentally as well as physically.  This means finding some exercise I enjoy doing…which will be the challenge.
I’d like to write something. A story. NaNoWriMo in November is an aspiration, but I’m not sure if that’s too large an ambition.  Watch this space...



Happy New Year!




6 comments:

  1. And a very happy New Year to you too.

    I had to google bruxism (the shame) but I hope you get it sorted out - it sounds painful and tiring.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. So do I...it is both of those things. Am determined to get it under control this year. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so with you on the afternoon tea thing. I'm desperate to book something at Claridges one day, dress up and swan around the west end a bit before eating cake and drinking champagne. What could be nicer?! So sorry to hear about the miscarriage, I've done quite a bit of that myself so I know what you are going through, it's awful. I wish good things for you. Well done for fronting up to the neighbours! I would find that very difficult, especially if I wanted a favourable outcome. Bruxism, hmm, you must have some heavy headaches. Can't imagine what that must be like. So glad you're sticking with your blog, I love your writing, and I want to be amongst the first to read your stories, published or unpublished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe one day we will both be published writers and we can meet at Claridges and toast our success over champagne and some sweet indulgent cakes. (For some reason I'm now thinking of a Patsy and Edina type sketch...Too much Christmas TV!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello and happy New year! After noon tea and cakes is fab - I had one in a posh hotel 6 weeks before Little A arrived. It was sooooo yummy! Really glad you have stuck with your blogging and hope to read you in paper format some day - I think your writing is lovely! I don't have Bruxism but I do grind my teeth and wear a mouth guard at night. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello - Happy New Year to you too! How exciting about the new blog. Look forward to reading.x

    ReplyDelete