Pages

Thursday, 15 December 2011

Finding My Christmas Groove


This week I’m joining up again with the Grooving Mums blog hop. It’s been a few weeks since I last took part. If I’m honest, I’ve been struggling and haven’t felt that groovy.  But, onward and upward, this is the season to be jolly so, party poppers at the ready, here I am.

What have I been doing to get into my Christmas Groove?

Trying to get Ahead
I am doing my best to try and be not so last minute this year. Last week I felt I was in quite a good place, however, I’m not sure if I then just put my feet up for a little too long or whether I was missing half the ‘To Do’ list, but suddenly there seems quite a lot to do. On the bright side, I ordered my photobox calendars and even had them delivered before the deadline. (Simply unheard of for me). And for once, I sent off all my international cards on time.  I haven’t quite written all my Christmas cards but I’m looking forward to finishing them off tonight.  I enjoy writing notes to my friends in them, but as a consequence they take me ages. The cards I enjoy receiving most are the ones where someone has made an effort to write a personal update and I try to do the same. It’s made me realise how little I write anything by hand these days. My hand aches after writing notes in just a couple of cards!

Getting Crafty
I’m not a home spun, crafty type of girl but, the little man does love to make things, and the sheer reward of seeing his excitement, and hearing him say; ‘This is fun!’ has made me make more of an effort recently. This week we’ve made some homemade Christmas cards for him to send to close family. They’re simple, little Christmas trees covered in starry stickers and lots of glitter.  The kitchen now looks like the inside of a snow globe but actually, I quite like it. If you can’t have a glittery floor at Christmas, then I don’t know when you can. We’ve also been making a Christmas tree collage out of Pip’s handprints, to give to my mum when she visits this week. I’m really pleased with how it is turning out.  I think she’s going to love it.  

Dressing for the Occasion – New Years Eve
This year, I was determined that for New Years Eve, I would make an effort.  Each year there are 10 of us for drinks, dinner and games at one of our houses.  Adamant that my ‘vintage’ sparkly top would not make yet another appearance, I set myself a challenge to find something new to wear. Mission accomplished.  In fact, I did something I, ‘jean wearing mamma’ would never normally do. I bought a dress.  The dress is from a shop I’d never normally go in.  I walked past the shop window countless times, and eventually, I went in and tried it on. I was surprised at how much I liked what I saw in the mirror. It’s a maxi dress, which is not a style I’ve worn before, but I felt it was suited to the occasion and I’ve teamed it with a little black tux type jacket and my favourite pair of vintage (also known as seven year old, but still very lovely shoes.)  I just need some chandelier bling style earrings to set it off and I think I will be ready to rock around the clock into 2012.

Laughter
Each week Kate gives a couple of prompts to the Grooving Mums. One of  the recent prompts was laughter.  Seek something out that makes you laugh.  I’ve felt like I needed a laugh recently.  Luckily there was a long-standing date in the diary, with two friends, my flatmates from fifteen years ago. We met at a restaurant in the West End, drank far too much wine, unwisely followed it with some complimentary Lemoncello and reminisced about the good old days.  I haven’t had such a fun evening in a long, long time.  I laughed and laughed. It really lifted me.

On my Christmas list:  Something for 2012
One of last week’s prompts was to think about something you might like for Christmas that may help you with your Grooving Mum journey.  I’ve asked Santa for this book. It looks like a lighthearted read, and something that is easy to dip in and out of.  It’s rare I have the time and focus to finish a novel these days so something I can read in bite size chunks is great for me.

If you’d like to read more from other Grooving Mums head over to Kate on Thin Ice.

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I wanted to say thank you for your lovely comment, you wrote it on my blog a couple of months ago but it got filed in a weird place on new blogger and I only just saw it. It was on a post called Tick Tock. I'm so glad you liked it, and that the lion king poster obsession stayed with you - it is certainly an enduring image and past time here. Merry Christmas, and sorry again it took me so long to reply. Lucy (http://whenyouarethatwoman.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love love all the crafty things you have been doing with Pip. The cards and especially the collage sound wonderful. Can't wait to start doing all that stuff with Little A when she gets older. Your NYE outfit sounds very stylish - its really nice to buy something from a shop you wouldn't usually consider. Have a lovely holiday! X Look forward to reading lots more from you in the New Year! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining in again. I love, love, love your posts so always miss you. Well done on restyling you for the New Year. The book looks fab and I too invested in some books to help le groove this week. I feel more at ease and organised about the festivities this year and am sure #groovingmums helps with that for me. I too am crafting when I normally don't and discovering my creative side. Loving the sound of your drink-fuelled nostalgia trip and here's to many more of them.
    Lovely post - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I'm so nosy and love to know what other people are up to. I'm getting into the crafty thing with little man this Christmas too. Love the sound of your night out, reminds me of my own (distant) drunken nights out in an Italian just off Oxford Circus (it was the limoncello reference that did it!). Happy Christmas. Polly x

    ReplyDelete