Pages

Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Listography - My Top 5 Cartoon Characters From Childhood


Today I'm taking a trip down memory lane and linking up to the Listography linky at Kate Takes 5. The theme this week is cartoon characters from childhood.  So, without further ado, these are my top 5.

Bod – Mr Frog and his Amazing Animal Band 
My mother tells me that I used to love watching Bod.  I can’t remember anything about Bod himself really.  I think this is because for me, he wasn’t the hero of the show.  It was Alberto Frog.  Once the opening credits were over, I waited patiently for the part in the programme when Alberto Frog would appear with his orchestral animal band. Mr Frog would then drink a milkshake – either strawberry or chocolate, very noisily, and I’d watch in awe as he sucked it all up very quickly through his straw.  Fascinating stuff.


The Pink Panther
I googled Pink Panther today and was surprised to find that the original cartoons date back to 1964.  I’m not that old!  I can only imagine I was watching re-runs, that’s what happens when you grow up in a world with only three TV channels.  I still love the Pink Panther today. The animation is so simple and clever.  But it’s Henry Mancini’s score that is the icing on the cake for me, it's pure musical genius.

Source: TheCartoonPictures.com

The Wacky Races
Penelope Pitstop, The Hooded Claw, Dastedly and Mutley. What a cast of characters. Penelope Pitstop was glamour personified to me, a cartoon character role model.  I wanted to be just like her.  (Actually, I can remember very little of her personality…I just wanted to have her pink clothes, flowing blond locks and pink car.)  
Scooby Doo
I loved the problem solving mysteries of Scooby Doo.  Shaggy and Scooby were fabulous.  I  also liked the girl with long red hair - what was her name?

Captain Caveman
More magic from Hanna Barbera.  I think the cartoon was actually called Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels.  My favourite phrase was :  “Wowsers Cavey!”  This was uttered by the three girls when Captain Caveman had done something amazing.  I used to love saying this, in fact, I used to practice trying to say it in exactly the same way!

5 comments:

  1. I remember all of these as if it were yesterday. Apart from the frog, that is, although I have a vague recollection of the milkshake. I loved Bod, and can remember the tune to it! There's an admission for you! I think the red head in Scooby Doo was Velma, the other one was Daphne. I might have mixed them up but I'm pretty sure those were the names. Lovely post. Polly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daphne and Velma..yes, that rings a bell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bod and Wacky Races made my list to and I had forgotten all about Captain Caveman - brilliant cartoon. I am shocked at how many I had forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wacky Races, brilliant. Almost made my list but not quite! :-) Used to like the wheezing dog laugh (Muttley?!)
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember all these so well!!!!! Loved bod, and totally agree, my favourite bit was the frog at the end with the milkshakes. Bod has to be one of the most randomist kids programmes EVER. Also have a great fondness for the whacky races!

    ReplyDelete