Pages

Thursday, 3 November 2011

Getting My Groove Back - With a Piece of Cotton Thread...




It’s that time of the week again. Take a seat, have a coffee from the trolley, and join me on the Groovy Train.  Rumble along with me, as I try to find a new groove. Want to join in too..? Then click here.

Before we pull out of the station, I should say that there’s been a slight malfunction on the groovy train this week.  Somewhere around the central engine area; a few unidentified creaks. Roughly translated in layman’s terms - I’ve been feeling rather poorly, which has resulted in lots of tests at the Doctors to try and determine what is wrong.  Unidentified illness always freaks me out, and that coupled with being a couple of degrees below par has not made for the best week. So the train has chugged a little more gently this week, rather than hurtling full speed along the tracks.  Hmmm..actually, I’m not sure it ever does that…

All in all, this week has been a bit sparse on grooving activities.  So, I’m just going to tell you about one simple thing that has helped me to feel a little bit better.   All it takes is a piece of cotton thread.
There comes a time in a woman’s life when you stare into the mirror, and have the dreaded realisation that hair is growing in places you wish it wouldn’t.  In my case, the upper lip.  We all have different approaches to beauty and ‘maintenance’; each to their own. On a personal note, for me, hair on the top lip is a big No No ( or rather, NO! NO!!!). I do not want to be known as ‘ Hairy Mother.’   I do not want to talk with my hand over my mouth, suffering with hairy lip paranoia; it’s a completely ridiculous way for a mother to behave. Thus, the only option is removal.

Thankfully this is only the second time I have had to do it.  The first time I waxed.  What a disaster. A nasty reaction, red bumps everywhere, forcing me to admit to my husband what I’d done, thereby drawing further attention to the problem area. Oh, the shame. I did not want to be ‘Hairy Wife’.

So this week, feeling decidedly hairy, I decided to have my problem area threaded.   Threading - the ancient Indian art of hair removal, performed with a thread of cotton. The beautician holds the thread between her teeth and her fingers and then uses a see-saw motion to remove unwanted hair.  It is very effective, and removes hair from the root.  It can shape and define much more than waxing so is also brilliant for eyebrows.  Someone somewhere in the dark recesses of my genetic pool landed me with whopping great dark brows.  If I didn’t seek to contain them, they’d be like two great, black caterpillars lazing on my face, but miraculously, threading turns them into something you’d find pictured in a beauty magazine. So, of course, I had those done too.  Now they’re Vogue eyebrows. Eat your heart out, Anna Wintour.  Hurrah! for ancient India and its beauty secrets.

So that’s this weeks humble grooving effort, a good dose of hair removal.  Not the most pleasurable experience in fact, slightly painful. But frankly, I look a lot better for it, and I am now ‘Smooth Mother.’

                                                    *******************************

The Photo Challenge

This week Kate challenged us to post a photo of ourselves on our blog. Alas, no,  I’m not submitting a picture of my moustachioed self.  This task is a little bit of a tricky one, as my intention when I started my blog was to be anonymous. I don’t want to let any of my groove friends down by not taking part but equally, I’m not quite sure yet that I want to post a full - on picture.  So, this is a part picture. Taken on holiday in South Africa when I was pregnant.  If you peek closely, you may be able to see a bit of me behind the disguise.  Maybe one day I’ll feel comfortable enough to post a full facial one. ( After threading of course..)


9 comments:

  1. I like what I can see of you and after posting my legs today thought that hair removal might be a very good idea. You take care and here's to a better week for you next week. You don't let #groovingmums down as we are all in this together and minus the big sticks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the hairy front. But I am going to post a photo this week. Threading is supposed to be more painful than waxing, isn't it? Polly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post. Yes I can certainly relate to the facial hair top lip thing. I wax and have been threaded too. Both make me go rather red. Nothing more embarrassing than leaving a beauty salon with a red moustache .... I am basically proclaiming to the world I am a yeti (of the west London variety). Cunning photo. Like It!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...Yummy Mummy or Yeti Mummy?..let me think for a moment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Polly...yes, threading the top lip is extremely painful, but, I do think it minimises the regrowth vs waxing. 'No pain..No gain!' x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The things we do to make ourselves feel better! Polly x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post, hope you are feeling better soon! I am currently extra hairy due to pregnancy so feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I know that plucking/waxing etc is seen by some as pure vanity or a result of social pressure, but I prefer to be smooth and groomed. Hopefully you will be feeing better soon and blood tests will hold some answers. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tagged you over at http://kateonthinice.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/question-time-10-things-you-want-to-know-about-me/ where all is explained.

    ReplyDelete