Pages

Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Getting Back In The Groove



It’s been a couple of weeks since I last posted to the Grooving Mums meme.    I wondered if I’d reached a bit of a hiatus with my groove. After thinking about it, I decided I was being hard on myself.  It’s been a tough couple of weeks and sometimes being a mum is about self-sacrificing and putting your own needs on the back burner for a while.  But now things are getting back to normal, and I feel able to pick up the grooving mantle again.

Here’s a rundown of some of the things I’ve been doing to get my groove back in the last couple of weeks:

Christmas Pudding Making

A little late in the year, but Mum, Pip and I spent a lovely afternoon making Xmas puddings this week.  I am hoping to do a post later on this in the week.  We used a very old family recipe, and it was wonderful for the first time to include Pip in the family ritual of pudding making. He enjoyed his role as chief stirrer very much, watching him and Mum have such fun together as we all made the puddings made me feel so happy. It’s sometimes the simple things that make the biggest differences to how you feel.

Getting the creative juices flowing: Pin-Interest

We seem to be at the final furlong with the local council with regard to our planning application for our house, so in the new year, our extensive renovation project will begin. This is more than a bit scary for a multitude of reasons, however, I really am looking forward to making Faulty Towers homely and putting our stamp on it. I’ve still got a lot to think about and plan, but I’ve found Pin-Interest has been a great starting point for inspiring and motivating myself.  The buzz of being re-pinned has been satisfying too!

The post I didn’t know whether to post

The week before last Kate challenged us to write the post that we might not normally write.  I did this and wrote a post here.  I felt heartened by some lovely comments from fellow bloggers and now feel encouraged to experiment and write more.

Last week’s challenges:

‘Embrace spirituality’:  A while ago I was studying Chinese Medicine, and bought the book the I Ching or, ‘Book of Changes’, to read whilst I studied.  Truth be told, I didn’t get that far with it.  This week I have dipped in and out of it in the odd spare moment. Taoist philosophy is a bit deep for a midweek timeout inbetween playing football and cooking the dinner(!) but I found a few kernels of wisdom to chew over in my spare time.

Body Fun : ‘Do something different with your appearance’.  I’ve been wedded to the same pair of stud earrings for the last 15 years. Occasionally, I think it would be nice to have something a little more fun and funky to wear, so I recently treated myself to a couple of pairs of new glitzy fashion earrings. I didn’t do it last week, but my goal for this week is to be adventurous, break away from my faithful studs and wear each pair once, during the next week.  Blingtastic!

This week’s challenges are:

1. Set your own challenge, something that is meaningful to you. Or even better, include a challenge in your blog post that all grooving mums might want to have a go at.
2. Investigate poetry and share a favourite with us whether poetry is something you indulge in often, sometimes or never.
3. Dance whether at an event, in the privacy of your own home or out on a walk with the children.
4. Take part in the Listography blog hop over at Kate Takes 5. It will help us all get to know each other that little bit better.

I think I can manage a couple of these. Here’s my poem.  A friend posted this under my door at uni when I was revising for my exams and finding it tough.  I still have this poem all these years later and I’ve taken inspiration from it in some difficult times. I wouldn’t say it’s my favourite, but I love it because of the spirit in which it was given. It means a lot to me.

 
The Quitter


When you're lost in the Wild, and you're scared as a child,
And Death looks you bang in the eye
And you're sore as a boil, it's according to Hoyle
To cock your revolver and . . . die.
But the Code of a Man says: "Fight all you can,"
And self-dissolution is barred.
In hunger and woe, oh, it's easy to blow . . .
It's the hell-served-for-breakfast that's hard.

"You're sick of the game" Well, now, that's a shame.
You're young and you're brave and you're bright.
"You've had a raw deal!" I know -- but don't squeal,
Buck up, do your damnedest, and fight.
It's the plugging away that will win you the day,
So don't be a piker, old pard!
Just draw on your grit; it's so easy to quit:
It's the keeping-your-chin-up that's hard.

It's easy to cry that you're beaten -- and die;
It's easy to crawfish and crawl;
But to fight and to fight when hope's out of sight --
Why, that's the best game of them all!
And though you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try -- it's dead easy to die,
It's the keeping-on-living that's hard.



Robert William Service. 1874 -1958




8 comments:

  1. Very impressed with the fact you are making your own Xmas pudding! I've been so busy and caught up in tagging posts that I haven't had chance to think about my groove. Its also been tough with Little A who has decided to start waking again during the night after sleeping through for months. Challenging. Love the poem !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps I have also tagged you in my latest music therapy post. Dont feel any pressure to join in :o).X.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is Pin-interest?! Is it crafty bits and bobs? I need some inspiration. My house is tiny, but I still haven't put a stamp on it. Life always seems to get in the way! Great post by the way! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MMM. Pin interest is more a virtual pin board where you can pin things from all over the internet that you find. You can also see other people's pin boards too and follow them if you like their style. It's great for home decor inspiration, but there's lots of everything. In fact, a bit of a mish mash you might say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't really know where to start except to say how fabulous that you have set about the challenges with such gusto. The poem is interesting and I am sure will mean a lot to many and I love the story that goes with it too. Will have to investigate the pin interest thingy as keep hearing about it. I am so behind the times!
    Christmas pudding making has inspired me. I have done some body fun myself but more about that tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you believe I have never in my life made Christmas pudding! Maybe this is the year! And I can understand why you were inspired by the poem "the quitter". Just love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there is something very satisfying about making Christmas puds. They're actually incredibly easy to make too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am welded to my earrings - I'd love a funky 'on trend' pair! I hope they're giving you a boost!

    ReplyDelete