Pages

Wednesday, 14 September 2011

The Gallery - A smile in the sky


Today I’m joining in with The Gallery at Sticky Fingers.  The theme is:  a happy memory.

This picture was taken on a trek in the mountains in Peru. We were on an extended trek to see recently discovered Inca sites, before joining the Inca trail to trek to Machu Picchu.

It was a day of inclement weather, and we’d been walking a long time when we sat on a grassy bank for a teabreak. With steaming hot cups of tea made with a battered old kettle, we looked out over the mountains, stretched out like a bumpy, blanket beneath us.  Quite suddenly, the light around us changed.  I looked up and there it was, this upside down rainbow, like a great smile in the sky, shining down over me.  Two minutes later it was gone, obscured by clouds.  In that one moment, high up in those mountains, I knew I was seeing something rare - Mother Nature was sharing a little piece of herself especially with me, the effect was quite breathtaking.

I wish the photo had been better – but there you go. This is an example of how sometimes you only get those precious seconds to capture the shot!  I love this photo because it reminds me of a wonderful trip and also because it illustrates perfectly one of my favourite mantras - 'Rainbows follow rainy days.'


3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like an amazing trip. A brilliant shot to remind you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely and quite moving emotionally. I love your mantra too. Must remember it more often myself.
    Trip sounds fab altogether

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful. I would love to go to Machu Picchu. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete